Are Pony Cars Getting TOO Big?

• Sponsors (?)

And that size would be weak. There's no way u can shrink the mustang body and still keep the "mustang" look.

Its like taking a pair of gymshoes like Jordan's, Kobe's, Lebrons....

A "good" size for looks is about a 10-11...too big (challenger) is a 14. Too small (370z) is like a 6 LOL.

Not in my opinion. Weight is self perpetuating, and I'm tired of fighting it. That's why I want to get a smaller car.

Kurt

Not only that, I was driving around San Francisco in a rental mustang April 2009. The windshield size / hood length / and the way the front of it extends far past the bumper made it legit dangerous driving up and down the hills. Granted I'm not tall at 5'7", but I can't imagine anyone having good sight lines out of that car.

Same scenario with the 2010 Camaro I had in Oklahoma City in October, with the addition that the side windows are even worse. In Oklahoma everything is flat though so it wasn't as big an issue. I've yet to drive a Challenger.

Adam

Not only that, I was driving around San Francisco in a rental mustang April 2009. The windshield size / hood length / and the way the front of it extends far past the bumper made it legit dangerous driving up and down the hills. Granted I'm not tall at 5'7", but I can't imagine anyone having good sight lines out of that car.

Same scenario with the 2010 Camaro I had in Oklahoma City in October, with the addition that the side windows are even worse. In Oklahoma everything is flat though so it wasn't as big an issue. I've yet to drive a Challenger.

Adam

The hood extends past the bumper? Thats news to me.

And You're gonna have to explain how the hood length is dangerous. :shrug: Same effect when you jump into a big pick up truck. You just have to know the size of your vehicle. (unless im not understanding what you're saying)

This is what happens when u shrink a mustang....

mustang-smart-front.jpg

lol

Adam

Meh....its not about the car being dangerous, its more about you used to driving your current stang and needing to get used to the new one. When I hopped into my F150 for the first time, I felt the same way....but I feel safer in it, than anything else I drive.

The old Fox bodies and SN95's were plagued with safety issues of their own (blind spots everywhere you looked for one) but we just learned to get used to them and look past it.

I'm sure the same will hold true for the new generation of pony cars. :)

I've owned several Fox bodies and an SN95 and I've never had a problem with blind spots. Nothing like these hore**** cars they come with today anyway. And I'm not limiting that statment to the new Mustang and Camaro. I drove a new Chevy Cobalt. Sweet Mother Marry, it was like driving with blinders on.

Kurt

I remember blind spots all over the place with my LX hatchback. They're great if you only plan on looking through the front 180-degree's of the car, but anything that required looking back over your shoulder was as much of a chore as any S197 i've driven. The same statement holds true for the SN95 cars.

Like I said...the front and rear end of the S197's are a little tricky to get used to, but once you get used to them, its not a big deal anymore.

We're all very aware that you're not a big fan of change Kurt. ;)

I remember blind spots all over the place with my LX hatchback. They're great if you only plan on looking through the front 180-degree's of the car, but anything that required looking back over your shoulder was as much of a chore as any S197 i've driven. The same statement holds true for the SN95 cars.

Like I said...the front and rear end of the S197's are a little tricky to get used to, but once you get used to them, its not a big deal anymore.

We're all very aware that you're not a big fan of change Kurt. ;)

I like change, just not change for the worse. I'm a fan of the golden age of sports cars, which I believe was about 90' to 95', when all the Japanese manufacturers were offering really nice sports cars forcing the domestic manufacturers to compete.

You said you were 6'2", maybe that's the source of your blind spots in a small car. Us short people don't have that much trouble with it. Keep in mind, I drive an F150 everyday, so I'm used to a bigger vehicle. I have more blind spots in my F150 then in my Mustang. That maybe because I have the seat so far forward so that my midget legs can reach the pedals.

Kurt

I do agree all the new cars are a little chubby. But I'm 6' 1" and riding in an S197 and not rubing my head on the roof the whole time is nice. Another plus is the powerplants they are creating to move these boats. Could your imagine a 2011 5.0 412 hp beast in a notchback your looking at 11.40's easy just dropping it in a fox.

Won't be cheap to do that swap. Unless u want a unique set up....I don't see an advantage to using a non 4.6 platform. That's if even it's a drop in swap for 99-04 guys

I'm digging the new 5.0. I think I found the V8 engine I want for my FD RX-7. It would be worth cutting shock towers to fit that engine.

The notch is a few hundred pounds than a new edge. I doubt the wiring harness would be compatible from the new edge to the S197, so there wouldn't be that much difference between putting it in a Fox and a New Edge. More work, but it would be worth it if you are big into the Fox body style.

Kurt

I have nothing to say other than
ford car + gm engine = the gayest thing you can do next to listening to Adam Lambert in your half breed car ! ! !

And stock for stock... less money put in however you want to do it... an ls swap will win... no offense... but that engine is beast...:p

Ls1- 400 Lbs

302- 475

351- 525

other 96+ info

4.6L SOHC 500 lbs.
5.4L SOHC 525 lbs
4.6L DOHC Aluminum Block 425 lbs
5.4L DOHC 540 lbs
6.8L SOHC V-10 640 lbs.

And stock for stock... less money put in however you want to do it... an ls swap will win... no offense... but that engine is beast...:p

Ls1- 400 Lbs

302- 475

351- 525

other 96+ info

4.6L SOHC 500 lbs.
5.4L SOHC 525 lbs
4.6L DOHC Aluminum Block 425 lbs
5.4L DOHC 540 lbs
6.8L SOHC V-10 640 lbs.

No I agree with you the ls series motor is a very impressive engine just stick it in a camaro is all I'm saying.

I have nothing to say other than
ford car + gm engine = the gayest thing you can do next to listening to Adam Lambert in your half breed car ! ! !

Adam Lambert is gay?:shrug:

The 32V engine is (TICK!) great on paper (TICK!) but I heard that (TICK!) there is a (TICK!) very minor problem (TICK!) with excessive noise (TICK!) from the valvetrain (TICK!) after upgrading the engine. (TICK!)

Adam