Are the 1969 Ford Mustang gauge lights dim?

Purple Stallion

Jul 15, 2004
Hey all, I've got a 1969 Ford Mustang with an aftermarket streetrod wire harness by Haywire. I had this harness installed and the dimness didn't go away. I have spoken to another person regarding this situation and he told that my year mustang interior were always dim and told me I had to get brighter light bulbs and put on new wiring to make them brighter. Is this true or did something go wrong on the harness installation? Please let me when convenient.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not surprised everyone says their '69-'70 lights are dim, but I am surprised no one posted the main reason why and how to fix it. One of the primary reasons the dash lights appear dim is that there are little blue caps that cover the bulbs in the dash. These little blue caps are translucent and create that greenish glow to the guages. Remove the caps and you'll get a noticeably brighter (and whiter) dash. A second option is to step up to LEDs or brighter aftermarket bulbs that replace stock bulbs... I've seen 'em somewhere, but heck if I can remember where.

Hope this helps. :shrug: