Are The Older 4.6Ls Really That Bad?

GT Drifter

Mar 26, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I always hear that the older (first) 4.6L Mustangs aren't really all that great. Not much power and not a great design. Now I dunno if this is true. All I know is 5.0Ls.

How are the 96-98 4.6Ls? Are they as bad as I hear?
I believe they had Traction Control too right? Possible to DD them 24/7 365/year?

• Sponsors (?)

They made less power then the 99+ GTs because of the head and intake design. The good news is you can put the 99+ (pi) heads and intake on a 96-98 and make the same power. If you read any mustang mags 5.0 mustangs and superfords just did an article about those engines. They make good power with a pi swap and are pretty reliable. I don't think any had traction control (mine doesn't).

don't forget PI cams too. Theres nothing wrong with these cars besides not having as much power as a PI car. Yet if you change out NPI parts w/ all PI parts (which can be done for cheap cuz stock gt parts are everywhere) you actually get more power w/ a 96-98 cuz you bump the compression up a bit. Besides that there is no traction control, but i've driven a 2001 a lot and find myself turning it off a lot, lol. Other than this, the cars are basically the same except for the 96-98 having the T-45 manual which by poll most likely is found to be better overall than the TR-3650 which is pretty weak, tho the T-45 does have a 2.97 first gear.

Other than this, the cars are basically the same except for the 96-98 having the T-45 manual which by poll most likely is found to be better overall than the TR-3650 which is pretty weak,

'96 to mid 'o1 have the T-45, and who said the 3650 was weaker?

early 3650's are notchy and don't shift too smoothly but i've never heard anyone say they're weak, in fact quite the opposite

'96 to mid 'o1 have the T-45, and who said the 3650 was weaker?

early 3650's are notchy and don't shift too smoothly but i've never heard anyone say they're weak, in fact quite the opposite

That's what I was thinking too. As far as 96-98's go, I think they're great looking cars, though they don't have a ton of power stock; but they are reliable daily drivers and can still be modded like any other mustang (though you'll have to put more time and money to make it run with later models and hot 5.0's):nice:

The non-performance improved 4.6 is not as powerful as was mentioned but as long as the intake manifold has been updated it is just as reliable as any 4.6 engine out there.

'who said the 3650 was weaker?

This was on the first two pages of searching for "TR-3650" Dont know what lead me to think a t-45 is better:shrug:

broken 3650 at 19K (overshift at the track), rubuilt in dec 05

One more good thing about the 99s is they still had the trusty T45 transmission. I think the TR3650 used in later years is a total POS.

Thread title: Help quieting the 3650
Its like driving around with a clothes dryer of marbles at my side....when you can hear it over the radio and exhaust...you know its gonna be annoying...

any of you guys had any luck quieting em down?

when im in 5th gear going between 50-65 mph, i notice a noise coming from the shifter console/gearbox. the noise is hard to describe..kinda like a grinding sound. anyone know what that might be? thanks.
normal if its a 3650 any way

01 GT 3650 transmission loses 2nd gear, total transmission overhaul at 60k.

Has anyone here sued, or do you know someone who has sued Ford Motor Co. and/or Tremec about the very annoying 1-2 and/or 2-3 clunk in the TR3650?

There is a 1,700+ postcount thread on this site with owners who experience this, and a TSB released by Ford that usually fixes the issue. This TSB costs a minimum of $1,646.57 for those whose warranties have expired. I believe this issue warrants a Recall status, and the law should prove disgruntled owners right.

(I own a 2003 Mach 1, with 4100 miles on the odometer and I have fallen out of the 3/36 warranty period. I should not have to pay for a psuedo-recall.)

you're crazy!!
a T56 would be the best upgrade he could do. the 3650 is a weak POS! i wouldnt waste the money on another.

If it wont go into gear and grinds any time you shift its a 3650...:D

3650 is also clunky like a mofo...especially when cold.

I hope you got a later 03/04 3650 as the 01/02's were especially bad. Even my '03 gets a bit clunky into 2nd when the temp gets under 50 degrees

In the 3650's defense, it is rated at 360 ft-lbs, which is technically stronger than a t-45 and the base 3550's.....but like i said in the above post...they shift like garbage. :(

But still, knowing what i know, if you gave me the option of either a t-45 or a t-3650 when i bought my car, i'd still take the 3650.

In the 3650's defense, it is rated at 360 ft-lbs, which is technically stronger than a t-45 and the base 3550's.....but like i said in the above post...they shift like garbage. :(

But still, knowing what i know, if you gave me the option of either a t-45 or a t-3650 when i bought my car, i'd still take the 3650.

Hmm...last time I checked shifting was fairly important! :shrug:

Maybe its because I have a rebuilt one but mine is smooth