ASC McLaren Convertible?

I'm thinking about buying one of these 87-90 convertibles and modifying. I know you people are saying they are very rare. Well, I like the two seater style. I'd like to take one and put a single window convertible top on it. Also, change the tail lights to cobra or lx lights. Then, I'd like to change the front and rear bumper on the car to stalker front/cobra rear or saleen bumpers. Then I'd like to get a nice set of lights and switch the car to five lug. I would keep all original parts of course just if I wanted to switch the car back to factory. I think it would be a fun project and there are a few beat up ones in need of a restore around.

Let me know what you guys think

Attachments

• DSCF1450.JPG
    DSCF1450.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Sponsors (?)

I think it'd be cool. The top, tail lights, and front end are all ugly IMO, so it'd be a big improvement :nice: Plus with all the stock stuff you can at least put it back if/when you want to sell. No harm done!

I'm not trying to mess with you. But, the ASC McLaran was kind of the laughing stock of the world in its time. Yes it's rare... That's because Ford tried to cover up a factory mustang with different pieces and wheels and sell it to the Europeans for $70,000 each and they got laughed at. If you've already bought one, then yea it'd be worth it and more power to you. But if you just want it cause it's rare... I wouldn't invest in it. :shrug:

He wants one because of the 2-seat style, not because it's rare. He just didn't want anyone flaming him because he wants to modify a rare car.

Thanks Manson. Yeah I'm not buying it because its rare. I could care less. I just want a convertible foxbody at some point and I thought that would be a unique project I think it would look very slick as a two seater and the top doesn't need a boot cover because it all goes into the body. Maybe it would end up somewhat as nice as manson's in the same styling spectrum. I was just trying to get some feedback and see if I was going to get burned alive for buying a rare car and changing it. They seem to go for fairly cheap just like any other foxbody I think notches and cobras go for way more. I think these cars are hideous in factory form but, I've been studying and brainstorming for the past five years or so what I could do to one. I just found out today from a ASC fan that a regular mustang top will work with the glass window and that was one of my main things. The tops on these cars are horrible. The way I feel is that not all rare cars are desirable and I doubt these will ever be just by styling alone. Give me some ideas on what you think would make it. I think shaved door handles and lock would be nice. What about a light bar?

http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/album_pic.php?pic_id=518 (look at this one)

Attachments

• asc.jpg
    asc.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 142
That's what I said in his other thread. Plus the height is different, the framing is different, and it attaches to the window at a different position. Not that a custom top/upholstery shop couldn't take the McLaren top and stitch a full window into the back of it or copy the design and change the rear. It'd be cool for sure.

What body kit do you think would look good on it? I was think stalker front cobra rear or saleen front cobra rear. I love day dream dreaming about cars I can't buy right now. lol I love foxes there are so many types.

Whatever you like, man. i always love a Stalker on a kitted Stang though :)

I think the Cobra rear would flow nicely too.

I think it would look awesome when completed of course this is just talk right now. I dont actually have any money to start this. Considering my student loans are killing me. I just love looking for new ideas. Considering theres so many body styles of foxes and theres so much you can do.