assembling 5.4 4v got some questions?

Drew1287

Mar 13, 2003
Louisiana
I finally got everything together for my 5.4 4v swap. The only part i dont have yet is how i will run my return style fuel system with the 99+ manifold. I got some minor questions that i noticed tonight while putting in the new crank. The motor is outa the car, completely clean and on a motor stand. I put the crank in and it said to pry forward on the crank to seat the thrust bearings. I pried it forward and held it while torqueing the mains and sides, but once I removed the screwdriver the seperate thrust bearings still had free play and could move by hand. Is this normal? I check endplay and everything is fine, but by rotating the motor will it finish seating the crank automatically? Also on the oil pump, I am using a melling high volume and was told by randy that melling makes all ford pumps so go with one like I got, BUT! Is there a gasket between the oil pump and block. I find it hard to believe that the metal pump and steel block just sit on each other. Also there is one oil pump bolt outa the 4 that is twice as long, which spot did this one go in? This isnt my first motor, but i am nervous about this one being it will be my daily driver/racer. Any suggestions on installing pistons/rings/anything. will also be very appreciated. I will take some pics tomorrow of the progress.

• Sponsors (?)