auto to 5 speed swap

socalstreetridr

Jul 24, 2008
i just swapped out the aode in my 99 gt. it starts and runs with the auto computer just has the normal issues with the speedo being off and stuff .. my question is when i try to change the computer over to a 5 speed one out of a 99 gt it just cranks and wont start.. is there somthing else i need to do to get the 5 speed eec to work or should just connecting it be all i have to do ? does that mean the 5 speed eec is no good? i put the auto one back in and it starts.. thanks
carter

• Sponsors (?)

i just swapped out the aode in my 99 gt. it starts and runs with the auto computer just has the normal issues with the speedo being off and stuff .. my question is when i try to change the computer over to a 5 speed one out of a 99 gt it just cranks and wont start.. is there somthing else i need to do to get the 5 speed eec to work or should just connecting it be all i have to do ? does that mean the 5 speed eec is no good? i put the auto one back in and it starts.. thanks
carter

That is Ford's PATS system kicking in. (Passive Anti-Theft System) Each, computer is programmed to each car. You can't even changed the speedo on 99-04 cars. It will just crank and not start just like if you changed the ECM.

Ford programs each cars, steering column, key, speedo, dash harness, and computer to be by themselves and not work with any other car.

You can get a 5speed computer to work, but the dealer must reprogram it for you.

Or....a good tuner and tune around the PATS system. Some can do it, some can't. You just have to find a tuner who knows how to do it and is willing to do it. I highly recommend keeping the PATS though.

Reactions: 1 user
That is Ford's PATS system kicking in. (Passive Anti-Theft System) Each, computer is programmed to each car. You can't even changed the speedo on 99-04 cars. It will just crank and not start just like if you changed the ECM.

Ford programs each cars, steering column, key, speedo, dash harness, and computer to be by themselves and not work with any other car.

You can get a 5speed computer to work, but the dealer must reprogram it for you.

Or....a good tuner and tune around the PATS system. Some can do it, some can't. You just have to find a tuner who knows how to do it and is willing to do it. I highly recommend keeping the PATS though.

Hey !! Hi I have the same problem but I changed the computer and the cluster cause they burn out cause a alternator issues!!! Now won't start !! Just cranks !!! It's anyway the I can do it myself with out a locksmith or dealer help ?? Or its really necessary to go with them ?? It's a 99 gt auto !!! Thanks a lot !!!

Before anyone else says it, "Holly dead thread resurrection"........

Yes. It is "possible" to reprogram PATS yourself. HOWEVER you will need:
  • TWO different PATS key (cloned keys do not count). The keys must work mechanically. Do not even think about starting this process without this. Avoid super cheap ebay keys.
  • Windows laptop
  • ForScan software (free)
  • An extend license unlock code for ForScan(Needed for PATS). A 2 month demo is free at the time this was written.
  • A ELM237 USB dongle.
ForScan is an amazing product that is worth the price for the graphing and access to ODB2 PIDS alone. A real game changer.

ForScan Home page.
http://www.forscan.org/

Information about ForScan extended license.
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836

OHP Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus Mazda OBD2 diagnostics
Amazon product ASIN B01F0GVBWYView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3HT224M59LA1C

Last edited: