Automatic to a 4-speed questions please

Woody3882

5 Year Member
Jun 19, 2018
Bradenton Fl 34212
I have a 1965 Mustang with an C-4 Automatic transmission. I plan on changing it out with a 4-speed transmission. This is a bit out of my wheelhouse so i am going to farm it out to a transmission shop to let the pros do it. My questions are these
1, what can i expect to be charged for a used 4-speed and to have it rebuilt.
2, what can i expect to pay for the swap labor (Automatic out, 4-speed in).
3, how much extra for a new clutch, bearing, and all the needed extra parts.

I do not have a 4-speed to put in so i will have to have them find & rebuild a used one. I am going to try and get a total package price for the entire job, so what should i be prepared to pay, what would you consider reasonable without getting burnt.

Thanks, I appreciate all input and advise
[email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

You need a lot more than just the trans. And if you have a shop find it for you , you will pay a fortune. Also4speed top loaders hold up pretty good, so it will probably be fine without rebuilding. Source the parts yourself. You need a pedal assy, a bell housing with clutch arm,a flywheel and clutch, a drive shaft and a trans mount. Oh and a 4 speed floor shifter. Hit the junk yards , both local and online.

I have (1) small block and (1) big block top loader of which each would be a good rebuild candidate. They are not broken and were pulled from a running and driving cars. If you are interested PM me and we can work out a price.

Reactions: 1 user
I have (1) small block and (1) big block top loader of which each would be a good rebuild candidate. They are not broken and were pulled from a running and driving cars. If you are interested PM me and we can work out a price.
Aerocoupe, if you still have those toploaders, they seem to be gold right now. I shopped for a few months to find one on the east coast that didn't make my geester pucker. they could be your retirement money...:nice:

Have you found the clutch pedal / shaft and bushings it takes?
That is one of the hard parts
I agree about the 5 speed
I say that owning two toploader cars myself
I kind of prefer the nostalgia of the toploaders but do not street drive either one much
Certainly, worth more money with a stock looking toploader IMO