Automotive Algebra

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
It's scary, mathematics are everywhere. I was talking with my friend Jon who was telling me of his troubles in finding a part for his Ferrari.........

Ferrari says the part is NLA or No Longer Available and Jon has been unable to find any NOS and now he's outta luck.:shrug:

We thus came to this formula......:

NLA - (NOS - A) = SOL

See....it works!:hail2:

btw......Jon managed to prototype a replacement with parts from one of his son's toys.:D :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

:rlaugh: Cute.

You'd probably get several more :rlaugh: outta me; but I'm in the same boat as Jon. With all the work you're doing with all the parts you're getting for Sally, I still think you're lucky. jikelly and oboe-dawg have stories on trying to find stuff for Big-Stangs; but try finding particular stuff for the first big Cougars :nonono: There basically is no NOS or aftermarket external sheetmetal for the 71-73 Cats, while (if your checkbook is fat enough) you can get a re-pop complete bodyshell brand new for 65-66 Mustangs. Left-rear quarters (yeah, I "need one for the BBC)? Mustangs Unlimited, Mustangs Plus, Paddock (albeit more expensive than even M+ :eek: ), and I don't even know who all else; a quick check sez they're only 150 bucks from Auto-Krafters. Patch panels for rear quarters are the same deal. Replacement Cougar body panels stop after 1970 until '74-75. Period.

But your "algebra" is indeed funny. I can appreciate the humor - like I appreciate the Dilbert comic strip after a long day at my job. It's ironic humor; and it's even funnier when you live the life yourself.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so bummed out; but I just woke up about 45 minutes ago. Never did get to take a rest period during our local "Relay for Life"; and at about 5:30 this morning Sue and I were talking with a good friend of ours (another "friend since he and I were kids" and our former insurance agent) who does the "Survivor Lap" every RFL. He's not gonna get to make many (any? :nonono: ) more of them. His 1.5 kidneys are okay, but it's back in his lungs; and he's not sure he's got many more lobes to give up, nor does he think "the juice" is gonna work this time. He woke up and saw me out at about 0215, and I slowed down so he could do a lap-and-a-half with me; but he ended up crawling back in his sleeping bag when we came to his campsite.

Fortunately, after Steve and I talked (and had a little prayer session) this AM, I got the chance to do a few laps with the recently widowed Dad of one of Cowgirl Tink's high school buddies. In our conversation, Gary mentioned that his daughter (Trish's pal Phoebe) might run for Rodeo Queen again. If she does run and make's it this time; they'll be "working the Circuit" with me in '08-'09, which would be "major-cool" :nice: :D

Have you checked with MU lately? They've been offering cat parts for a couple of years now...............:shrug:

Besides a TRUE BLUE ALL-AMERICAN AUTOMOTIVE enthusiast is never completely SOL, because as in Jon's case, we just prototype a replacement if we have to!!!

And yes, StDr, just because the parts are available, doesn't mean one can afford them, and when one can a lot of the time the parts have to be :massaged: to fit!

btw........my prayers for your friend, GOD Bless!

Oh, yeah; the trunk drop-offs, rear outer wheelhouses, and all the inner panels up front are right there waiting for me - and reasonably priced, too! :eek: :nice: It's that outer skin that's gonna kill me. Got my brother in Phoenix looking out for 71-71 Cougars with decent rear quarters while he continues his endless search for the "perfect" 5-speed transaxle for his Toyota Previa. Why he loves that van, I don't know; but as long as he keeps an eye out for Cougar sheetmetal..... :D