bad H.I.D. problems... any ideas?

rcombs18

Jan 27, 2009
I posted a while back because i was having some h.i.d. problems and they would turn off then back on while im driving. I installed all new ballasts and bulbs and re ran all the wiring for them... The new ones worked fine for about two months and are now doing the same thing. Only now when they do it i can turn my brights on and they work just fine. That part makes no sense to me. I have no idea what the problem could be or where to start looking trying to find it. Here is a video of what they do.

YouTube - Messed up mustang headlights

• Sponsors (?)

hid s are very sensitive to voltage from what i hear. On my audi if i turn on the brights my hids will flicker (these are oem hids) I have gone through the wiring and cant find anything "wrong" some people say its a ballast issue as well. Maybe this will help in some way.

Since both your fogs are turning on and off. I'm thinking you have some issues with the headlight switch. Check that. Lots of times the pins decide to get loose on the connector side. Also check all the connectors and pins. If a pin got loose, there's a TON of things that could go wrong. Good luck!

Are you buying the expensive HID kit, the ones w/High/low beams. Sometimes your issue w/those kits could be grounding. I chose the cheap ebay ones because of the plug and play, and If I have issues I know it wasn't b/c of my install.
Get your-self a volt meter and measure ohms and volts. This could be definantly be a headlight switch issue, as many times one would push and pull that knob, something is bound to loosen and cause problems.

Yeah I just got the bi xenon kit off of eBay. It's hi/low beam but it wasn't real expensive. Where would I need to look at to cheek the headlight switch stuff? I've never really messes with the electrical stuff all that much

First I would check the voltage coming to the headlights light first, anything right above or close to 12 volts should be fine. Check and make sure your grounds are clean and making a strong contact. And make sure your head light connections don't have any moisture and rust. Always use dielectric grease when making an electric connection just for insurance.
My headlights turn on separate on my car, I can run the fogs independent headlights. Is that your situation? Go back an recheck your connections and use some dielectric grease. Moisture shows up in the strangest places.

ok I'm gonna tear into it tomorrow since i'm off work. and the fog lights don't turn on by themselves but i would really love to set it up to where they could while i'm working on it. How did you do it?

It's likely the pins in the headlight connection. They probably wired it backwards...See attached, the one on the right is correct, the one on the left is incorrect. IF you are able to moves the pins you can fix this yourself otherwise you'll need to return em.

Ok so I went through and re ran all of the wires. Cleaned all the grounds and everything is good as far a that goes. But the lights are still doing the same thing. Is there something elae I should be looking for?