Trick flow heads
Stage one cam
Roller rockers
Headers
Stock H with 4 cats
Underdrive pulleys
Cold air
65mm throttle body.

And for days now, Ive been searching this site on a problem i've had and thought I fixed.

I hate starting threads like this by posting a problem as my first post on a forum, but I am in desperate need of some advice!

Here is my problem.

Timing is at 16 degrees, and when I go wot it will POP from the intake. The ONLY way to fix it was to put the timing on 20 degrees advance. WTF. Thats not right.
ANYONE have ANY idea as to what can be wrong?

Also, when the motor gets hot, a little above normal, it drives like crap at times.

I dont understand why When I advance the timing, it goes away....

Other then that, the car drives fine, until it gets really warm

I was just thinking, and At first I thought maybe its the fuel pump causing a lean miss, my fuel pumps gets pretty loud. But, That wouldnt explain me advancing the timing and the pops go away, right?

What are the chances that the rockers need adjusting? Their kinda loud.

I appreciate Any input. Wether it be negative or positive! lol

Thanks fellows. :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

You might wanna check the harmonic balancer. It's just possible that the outer ring has spun a few degrees so what you think is 20*BTDC base timing might be more like 8 or 10. The popping from the intake and the engine running hot could be due to the timing being overretarded.

another + for harmonic balancer. you'll need to rent a puller from auto zone or advance. don't forget to remove the big washer inside the balancer when you remove the bolt. you might also need to raise the radiator up to clear the puller. leave the car in gear with the e- brake set. that bolt has over 100 lb.ft. of torque on it. so use a 1/2 impact or a long breaker bar to get that mother loose.

Okay, so a couple updates.
Few days ago, after I would advance to 26, drove Perfectly and best it has ever had. But come on, 26 degrees? Wtf. Unreal.
Today, I put on a new harmonic balancer and the SAME THING.
So, I was thinking, maybe when the trick flow cam was put on, the timing was off retarded a tooth, so you have to advance ignition timing to compensate. But I wouldnt think thats possible is it???

Also, Im matching up the timing mark from the balancer onto the pointer that says "time" Is that correct?

Any help would help, thanks! :SNSign:

the dizzy may be off a tooth also. you'll need to pull it out and rotate the rotor 1 tooth and put it back in. make a mark on the base of the dizzy and intake manifold so you know where you started from and make note where the rotor is pionting for the same reason.

So, mark the dizzy where it is, then turn the tooth each side one and see if that works?

If I was to put cyl. 1 on TDC and then check the rotor, would that tell me if my dizzy is off a tooth?

Any help would help, thanks!

the dizzy may be off a tooth also. you'll need to pull it out and rotate the rotor 1 tooth and put it back in. make a mark on the base of the dizzy and intake manifold so you know where you started from and make note where the rotor is pionting for the same reason.

That's actually a myth. There is no such thing as a distributer being a tooth off. Sometimes if it isn't put back in to mesh with the teeth it has been meshing with for an extended period of time it will create a wining noise, but it has nothing to do with ignition timing.

Kurt

Yeah.
I remove spout to change timing, then put back in and make sure it advances. Quadruple checked wires.

Just tried to completely reset the timing.

1) remove #1 spark plug-passenger side towards front bumper
2) turn crank with ratchet while holding finger over spark plug hole
when you feel a mass amount of air trying to escape from the plug hole look at your balancer- you should be approaching TDC.
3)stop turning crank when TDC aligns with pointer
4) install distributor with rotr pointing towards the #1spark plug wire on the cap.
start engine & check timing (with the plug removed)
5) lock down distributor and you're good to go!

What I dont understand is, should I just turn the dis. to where its pointing at number one?

I did that, and Im having the same exact problem.

I read at least fifteen threads of this happening to other people, but they NEVER post how they fixed or even ever fixed the problem. See, I dont know if my base timing is at 10, 20, or even 30.