Bass not working in Mach 460

blue4.6gt

Oct 11, 2006
Like the post title says the bass is not working in my 98 GT's mach 460 stereo, when I first bought the car it didn't work so I figured it was just a blown fuse. Well I found out that was not the case so I was wondering where I should begin looking, the head unit works fine but all I hear is treble I tried turing the bass up and that didn't help. Where should I start looking to get this issue solved? thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give.

• Sponsors (?)

blue4.6gt said:
Like the post title says the bass is not working in my 98 GT's mach 460 stereo, when I first bought the car it didn't work so I figured it was just a blown fuse. Well I found out that was not the case so I was wondering where I should begin looking, the head unit works fine but all I hear is treble I tried turing the bass up and that didn't help. Where should I start looking to get this issue solved? thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give.

sounds like the speaker is blown dude. wouldn't be a cheap fix either..

Check to see if the sub has power, ie. does it move with music or no? If it does, then it's probably blown, if it doesn't move, then you should just trace all wire connections from the sub. Maybe one of the amps is fried?? I'm not sure if the mach system has a dedicated amp for just the sub, I didn't have a mach system to take out so i'm not to familiar with em, maybe someone has more knowledge about the specifics.

My buddy works on stereos for a living and mine does the same thing and he said that it was he head unit. He had a mustang come in when he worked at Freemans Car Stereo and it was the same way, he put a cheap sony in it and it sounded way better, the bass worked fine after that.
Matt

Wha? If its strictly stock mach 460, first check to see if all speakers are playing when your volume is turned halfway. If some of them are not playing, then it could possibly your mach amps which are in the trunk on a coupe and behind the rear seat in a vert.

ok, thanks for the advice...i'll take a look at it here sometime and get back with you guys, oh by the way it is all stock mach 460, to my knowledge nothing has been done to it but who knows what the previous owner did.

there are also connections down in the drivers kickpanel that lead to the amps in the back. I have seen it if you just kick the kick panel sometimes it will come back on. I know that sounds pretty hokey. Also remove the kick panel and check the connectors just under the carpet, I have also seen 1 pin come out of the conn. and it was the remote turn on. good luck.

I have a feeling the amp might be disconnected because clues are leading to the fact that I think the previous owner had subs and an amp in the trunk so this afternoon i'm gonna start looking at the amp power sources and behind the head unit and such. thanks for the advice....i'll let you all know how it turns out.

ok well i pulled the head unit yesterday and everything looked fine all connections were in place and it didn't appear that any wires had been cut. So I looked onward to the amps in the rear, I used a voltmeter to see if they were getting power and signal which they were. so now i'm lost, do you guys think the amps are bad or the speakers, or anything else?

Mine does this also (mostly when its cold outside). I have been able to fix this by turning the head unit on/off until it starts working again. It's a pain, but the only fix I've found until it gets warm out and I can put my own system in.

Mine does this also (mostly when its cold outside). I have been able to fix this by turning the head unit on/off until it starts working again. It's a pain, but the only fix I've found until it gets warm out and I can put my own system in.

ok...well i'm sorry about digging this post out of the ground but i finally got a chance to investigate my system today. What I did was remove the rear box to see if the speakers are bad which turned out to be false, I hooked the rear woofers up to a home stereo and they worked perfectly. Any ideas on what I should try next? I'd like to pinpoint the problem before I begin replacing components. Thanks for any help you guys can give.