Battery in Trunk.. Does it have to be sealed??

I have a dumb question.. I put my battery in my trunk for next to nothing with a friend of mine bc he had a bunch of parts layin around..... its in an open container drilled to the floor in my hatch... Someone told me yesterday that i NEED a sealed box with vent tube or the acid is gonna kill me and corrode my whole interior unless i get one of them leak proof Optimas... Is that true??? ive been drivin around for about 2-3 weeks like this

• Sponsors (?)

PURESTREET5006 said:
Tyalor makes the battery box kit inder 100.00 & the switch& "on/off label as to be in plain view when the tech natzi's look at

Tech Nazi's!!! hahahahahaha....

no such thing in a chicago area track. that dont look at 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'! thay just put the # on your car. dont even need a license, but why would you?

For most track's "test and tune" night, they generally don't do any inspections like that. At our local track, they don't even care about helmets, battery switches, or any of that. It's when you are racing in an actual class at an actual event when you're going to get inspected. Test and tune nights are for just that, testing and tuning and basically practicing your driving skills....they're not actual sanctioned events.
At our local tracks, on test and tune night, they just take your money, write a number on your windows and make you sign the disclaimer sheet... then off you go! I've seen total hunks of junk racing on test/tune night with their trunks flapping up and down, taillights and other parts falling off the cars, it's amazing.
As for the battery thing....to be legal for an event, the battery has to be sealed and vented (for a hatch car), with a visible cut-off switch on the outside rear of the car with the "on" and "off" positions clearly marked, and the box must be solidly bolted through the floor. In a trunk car, it just has to be bolted through the floor and have the same cut-off switch. The cheapo' Summit battery box kit would probably be ok in a trunk car, but definately not in a hatch car, since it's not sealed. The only way it will pass in a hatch car is if a rear firewall is fabricated.... which I have seen done, but just getting a proper battery box is WAY easier than that.
Hope this helps!

*EDIT* Wrathchild is also correct... The dry-cell batteries like Optima are also an option, although kind of expensive.

Nitrous Tommy said:
Tech Nazi's!!! hahahahahaha....

no such thing in a chicago area track. that dont look at 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'! thay just put the # on your car. dont even need a license, but why would you?

You think so? Try that a RT66 and see if you don't get bounced and thats if you can even get to the track before the gates close :( I don't even try to got to RT66 unless it's the NHRA OR NMRA OR A DIV# 3 RACE :rlaugh: They need more test & tune nites at that place.

This post needs an enema. I don't have a rule book here in front of me, but I have heard that the summit box won't get it in a sanctioned event. And one more point of interest, as for that wet cell in your hatch being unsealed and vented only into your interior, WILL IT KILL YOU? Hell yes! If you light a smoke after a nice travel with the windows up that thing will go up like the challenger. I always thought battery explosions were mostly freak b/s, till a buddy of mine load tested one using one of those "toaster" looking battery testers. The things heat up red hot and the leads are 1ft long so you are right over the battery (where the gasses are too) and KABOOM!

I thought the optima batteries or an unsealed box (like Summit's) were ok for a trunk car. I don't have a rule book, I've just seen alot of people do it that way. I have a hatch, so I used the Taylor box kit with 1ga cabling, and a Taylor cutoff switch behind my tag. I don't have the alternator's wire run to the switch yet, but will do it as soon as the weather permits. I don't race in any class or in any real events (yet), but I figure why not do it right the first time? The Taylor box and kit is $119 from Holcomb Motorsports, which was the cheapest I saw it anywhere. A small price for such a nice and complete kit.
By the way... where exactly do you get an official NHRA rulebook? One with every little detail like battery wiring, how roll cages are to be constructed, etc, etc?

89MustangGX said:
Trunk cars don't have the required firewalls for unsealed battery boxes. Adding a simple sheet of aluminum behind the rear seat would solve that problem, however.

Cool, does this apply to pass a safety? Does the sheet of aluminum have to be welded all the way around or can it just set in there? Or pop riveted?

Mavrick said:
Cool, does this apply to pass a safety? Does the sheet of aluminum have to be welded all the way around or can it just set in there? Or pop riveted?

I don't know that there are specifics to holding it down (I don't have the book in front of me), but I belieev as long as it is secure and it seperates the passenger compartment from the trunk, it is legal. There are thickness requirements, .032 seems to be stuck in my head for some reason...?