Battery not charging?

mark95turbo

Dec 12, 2006
Illinois
OK. I plan on taking my car to Autozone to have them hook it up to the machine tomorrow but im on my way to work right now so I thought I would post here first. A couple of days ago my battery light came on when I was on my way over to my G\Fs house. Well the next day when I got in the car to go home it wasnt on. Now its on again and has been for about 2 days but im pretty sure the battery is charging because the voltage regulator is just fine and it obviously hasnt died. I'm assuming maybe a sensor is gone bad maybe? Thanks in advance guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Put a DC Voltmeter across the battery and check the voltage with the engine running at a fast idle. If it reads somewhere in the area of 13.5 to 14.5 volts, then the alternator is PROBABLY okay. That is not a thorough test, but it is a good indication. If the voltage is indeed in this range, then have the battery load tested.

Typically when the light comes on, the brushes in the alternator are worn out, but there are many other things that CAN be wrong. If the voltmeter is showing 12 volts or so, the problem is most likely the alternator.

Good luck,

Thanks guys. Well last night I went to come home and the car died 3 blocks from home. I'm going to take the battery out and take it to autozone and have it tested. I realized last night at work that it is on durring the night and not on durring the day. So Im guessing that maybe it is the battery and it quit working because of the cold weather. It is a brand new battery when I bought the car (back in october) but ive had batteries die that quick before so I hope thats all it is.

Thanks again for the quick replies guys!