Before I call the Dealer....

So last week I installed Magnapaks and K&N CAI and kept the stock tune on my '09 GT. I drove it all week back and forth to work and got on it once or twice and everything seemed fine. Today I got on it in second gear and not sure of the rpm, but at about 4000, I think, it shut down and went into limp mode. I pulled to the side of the road and shut the engine and waited a few minutes. Started it up and everything seemed fine. I got on it again on the way home and it didn't seem to be any problem, although I don't think I got it up to the same rpm as I did the other time. What caused that? Is there something wrong? Do I need to do a tune? Should I take it to the dealer and will they just tell me that it's because I installed aftermarket stuff and charge me for repairs?

• Sponsors (?)

Mufflers without a tune isn't a problem BUT a CAI without a tune is an issue!
Ok...so how do I go about getting a tune now? I'm sorry, but I'm new to all this CAI and tune stuff. When I read about the CAI on K&N's website, I thought I understood that the unit I bought did not require a tune. In the instructions it just says to disconnect the battery before installing so the computer will adjust when you go to restart.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

The K&N filter like other that "say" they require not tune should have a little piece that goes inside the filter to make the system work. Did you put that piece in? You will need to purchase a hand held tuner such as an SCT Xcal3, when purchasing the device you will be asked for PCM number and list of mods.

The K&N filter like other that "say" they require not tune should have a little piece that goes inside the filter to make the system work. Did you put that piece in? You will need to purchase a hand held tuner such as an SCT Xcal3, when purchasing the device you will be asked for PCM number and list of mods.

Didn't put any little piece in the filter. Don't even remember it being mentioned in the instructions. I got in touch with K&N and they say they will get back to me shortly. Maybe the little piece is what they want to talk about.
Thanks for the help.

Got in touch with K&N and they are sending me a new intake tube. They say I have an older version and there has been an update. They also said I should be using 92 or higher octane. I've been using 89 only because of the cost. I guess I'll wait and see how it goes with the new intake tube before I invest in a programmer.

I have the K&N CAI, and it should be the same size intake tube where the MAF connects inline. I bought it for that reason: you don't need a tune and shouldn't have to run premium (I never do). Just make sure everything is tight, I have an issue where the connection at the throttle-body loosens occasionally. I check it periodically to make sure.

It's essentially putting a cone filter on your car. There's not really any HP advantage until you get a tune, it just sounds better.