Belt squeal

88306stang

Jun 20, 2004
Help I cant get rid of the belt squeal on my car I have the march performance brackets and pulleys Had no problem till i converted from power steering to manuel steering I bought the bracket kit that you use a tensioner on that elimates the power steering pump Have tried two different tensioners about a dozen different size belts and no luck Car is fine at idle no belt squeal till you give it gas and doesnt go away till it idles again If anyone has any ideas let me know cause i have run out of ideas :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

88stangmangt said:
bracket has gotta be mis-aligned you have to rig some of those march kit's you might have to shave a 10,000 of a inch or so off if it is mis-aligned.
and you measured and figured out that 0.00010 of an inch needed to come off? wow, belts must be very very finicky and you must be good.

I just solved a belt squeal problem yesterday on my car... the alternator pulley was just too small for the belt I guess... when I started the car and when I turned on my elec. fan it would squeal so it was easy to tell it was the alt.

I just changed to a pulley that was about 1/4in larger and presto, no squeal.

(this was all after smog pump elim, a/c elim, and new belt)