Best Carb For A 1966 289?

• Sponsors (?)

First, you need to figure out are you wanting a two barrel or a four barrel carburetor. Two barrels will use substantially less fuel however, they do not supply enough fuel if you want to accelerate quickly. In 1966 they had two versions of the V8 excluding letter codes. The GT had a 4 barrel and the standard V8 had a two barrel. I pulled a 600 cfm carburetor off of my 289. However, my 302 needed a 650 cfm. Here is a new 1406 Edelbrock from CJPonyParts. Also, many auto parts stores carry the 600cfm models in stock. http://www.cjponyparts.com/edelbroc...BQ7aPWrCyEWxTGweti64sce13Ll4AbvRoCApUQAvD_BwE depending where you are located I have the one I pulled off of my car. It just needs cleaned and possibly some new gaskets. Just hit me up and we can talk price.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to build a completely stock by clone. I had a 65 289 autolite 4100 carb for a manual trans in my car. It looked great, started right up, but had no power. With the pedal to the floor you'd hear lots of noise but no real power. I was planning on changing the cam and trimming gear and chain. I rebuilt a Holley 600 vac secondary carb and you would've thought I had the motor rebuilt. I decided not to ,was worth my stock cam and didn't replace the timing chain since it ran so good. My dad has a 650 Edelbrock on his car, my Holley car runs a little smoother and definitely accelerates faster. A correctly adjusted good running carb makes a huge difference. I would say that it is the most important piece. In terms of performance. It will make the car fun to drive or make it into a turd.

With any carburetor there is some adjusting required. Many shops around me are unable to adjust and tune Edelbrock carburetors. If you do not feel comfortable adjusting your own carburetor you may want to see what the shops around you are able to tune.

If you have a 2V (2-barrel) intake you'll want an Autolite 2100, with the proper calibration for a '66 289. If you have a 4V (4-barrel) intake you'll want a 1.08" venturi Autolite 4100, again, properly calibrated or as an acceptable substitute, a Summit M2008 in the 500 cfm version. Proper calibration means the correct jets, boosters, power valve, etc., for your engine. If your 289 is no longer stock (as in significant changes to intake and exhaust flow such as aftermarket cylinder heads or exhaust porting, then you'll need to experiment with jetting-up the carb as needed. IMHO, there's no reason to install Edelbrock Air-Valve-Crap except as a replacement to an original Carter AVS carb.

I'm wanting to put on a edelbrock carb what would be my best fit? 1966 289
Edelbrock P/N 1403 if you want electric choke, 1404 if you want manual choke. Both are 500cfm with air valve secondaries. You'll get great fuel economy and throttle response out of either on an otherwise stock 289 with a stock or slighly upgraded 4-barrel intake. If the engine is more substantially modified, stepping up to the 1405 or 1406 (600cfm), wouldn't hurt.

I myself have used Edelbrock carburetors on numerous vehicles, and found them to be a fantastic choice on a street car, and pretty much on-par with the Autolite/Motorcraft 2100 and 4100 models.

If my Mustang II didn't sit so much, I'd have kept the 650cfm Edelbrock Thunder AVS on it instead of switching over to EFI, hell, damned thing idled better with that Edelbrock carburetor than it does with the EFI until it gets to closed loop.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/carburetors/performer.shtml

I happen to like my Street Demon 625. It's a simplified version of some old Carter design, but it offers small primaries for economy and a large, goggle shaped secondary butterfly to allow good airflow during hard acceleration. I run it on my 81 408(351M stroked) engine with no problems save what I have caused for myself. It's a set and forget carb with a lot of tuning options for low costs. Runs about half the cost of the Edelbrock carbs.

I happen to like my Street Demon 625. It's a simplified version of some old Carter design, but it offers small primaries for economy and a large, goggle shaped secondary butterfly to allow good airflow during hard acceleration. I run it on my 81 408(351M stroked) engine with no problems save what I have caused for myself. It's a set and forget carb with a lot of tuning options for low costs. Runs about half the cost of the Edelbrock carbs.
I have one of these new-in-box under the desk. Was going to end up on a project car that got aborted. It was all of $10 less than the Edelbrock 1406 though.

Now Summit DOES throw reman Street Demons on Ebay with full warranty for about $200 fairly regularly.

I have no idea how well the Demon works, but damn it's pretty!

I have one of these new-in-box under the desk. Was going to end up on a project car that got aborted. It was all of $10 less than the Edelbrock 1406 though.

Now Summit DOES throw reman Street Demons on Ebay with full warranty for about $200 fairly regularly.

I have no idea how well the Demon works, but damn it's pretty!

Works great for my application. Slightly smaller than the recommended 650 CFM the engine builder I bought the kit from recommends, but no issues with the carb itself. My personal adjustments are off for the choke and idle. I'm using an anti-dieseling solenoid on it that is set too high for curb idle. I got it for $325. The Edlebrock and Holleys were running 5-600 for the 650 CFM with electric choke.