Best Cold Intake and Programmer?

• Sponsors (?)

From what I've read on this site C&l and JLT with a Brenspeed or Bamachips tune are the most popular set-ups. I am getting the JLT from Brenspeed in the next couple of months. Personally I wouldn't waste my money on the FRPP CAI and tuner.

CAI

Would it be better to go with the Ford Cold air intake kit and retune?

Hi, I have an 07 GT 5 speed manual. I now have 7.200 miles on it in less than 4 months. The car was excellent to start with, " I thought " after I had 1.500 miles on it, I went to brenspeed.com and bought the C&L cold air intake which is there best street set up. Naturally, you must buy the SCT X cal 2 tuner so you can change to the 93 octane tune, if you have 93 where you live, or there is an 83 octane and I believe 91 all in the tuner.

It also does many other neat things, for you including saving your stock set up if you want to go back. There is only one 10mm bolt holding the stock air box in, and a screwdriver is all you need to loosen the clamp on the throttle body.

Its so simple, to do, that when I ran most the original 83 octane out, I filled with 93 and did the retune right at the fuel pump. You cant prepare for that kind of instant huge power the second you start it!

This has all been said many times, but I am not kidding! The second you touch the gas, your gonna know the difference. And this only gets better and is everywhere from idle to 6.000 rpms and beyond.

Do this, and you will have to re learn driving your stang. Your gas mileage will increase quite a bit, which is un heard of, when making big power. I get 20 mpg in the city. 27 on the highway...

Just do it! :nice:

83 octane? :scratch: 87, 89? i have seen 85 in the mountains, but never 83.

about the FRPP CAI. it comes with a tuner that only calibrates for that intake, nothing else. you cant adjust anything, not eb\ven for different tires or gears. :( IMO, not worth the $$. you are much better off getting another set-up. the steeda intake is similar to the FRPP CAI, but comes with a different tuner. i believe that steeda also makes the FRP CAI, just steeda's own CAI is a little bigger. the tuner will make all the difference you could ask for.

One of the magazines did a comparison of about 10 different CAI's and they showed that the JLT is the best with the C&L running a close 2nd. Honestly, the two are comparable in terms of torque/power gains (within ~3 HP). The reason that I would go with the JLT is that it is available in a variety of colors. I can even have them paint flames on it to match the Grabber Orange exterior. As far as I know, no other CAI offers that option. The paint's only about $20, too! I'm going with the one that offers the largest HP/TQ gains, the option to paint-match, and (from what I've heard) great customer service. Wow, this sounds like a sales pitch. I wonder if they're hiring...hahaha.

87 octane

83 octane? :scratch: 87, 89? i have seen 85 in the mountains, but never 83.

about the FRPP CAI. it comes with a tuner that only calibrates for that intake, nothing else. you cant adjust anything, not eb\ven for different tires or gears. :( IMO, not worth the $$. you are much better off getting another set-up. the steeda intake is similar to the FRPP CAI, but comes with a different tuner. i believe that steeda also makes the FRP CAI, just steeda's own CAI is a little bigger. the tuner will make all the difference you could ask for.

Thanks big cat. Your right its 87 I dont know where I came up with 83 octane. :shrug:

The Frpp cold air kit is designed and engineered exclusively for Ford by Steeda through their unique partnership in Ford's technology transfer program.. just as bigcat mentioned the Steeda intake is just a bit larger but otherwise ?? their both the same CAI.. I would also recommend that if your interested in the Steeda version of the Frpp ? it would be in your best interest to purchase the kit along with the Sct X-cal II tuner combo from www.brenspeed.com instead of the frpp tuner which wont provide very much of any power gains to begin with ? and there's no end user adjustments to select from in case you want to make any changes and should you decide down the road to add more mods such as Frpp delete plates or long tube headers ?? you'll have to upgrade to a custom programmer anyhow so you might as well do yourself and your Stang a favor ?..get a tuner/CAI combo that will provide your best bang for the buck performance you deserve...:shrug:

I thik C&L is the best mainly because of the heat shield. I bought a Tunable Induction one which looks sweet and makes about the same power on the dyno compared to the C&L, but the heat shield doesn't seal up to the hood and I get a lot of hot air. I made a custom top part to shield it from heat (which makes a huge differance when driving) but I am considering buying a C&L to replace it since I want to open the hood and have it look good for shows...Muscle Mustangs & FF did and article for track times and the colder air intakes did much better on the track (they tested air intake temp too and the coldest air intake had the best track time)

I thik C&L is the best mainly because of the heat shield. I bought a Tunable Induction one which looks sweet and makes about the same power on the dyno compared to the C&L, but the heat shield doesn't seal up to the hood and I get a lot of hot air. I made a custom top part to shield it from heat (which makes a huge differance when driving) but I am considering buying a C&L to replace it since I want to open the hood and have it look good for shows...Muscle Mustangs & FF did and article for track times and the coolder air intakes did much better on the track (they tested air intake temp too)

how about fabbing up a plexiglass shield., probably much cheaper than buying a new CAI. then it would still look good, and function!

I made a clear plastic shield, but the way the intake cone sits, I have to bend the material. Plexiglass can't bend the way I need it too...Wish it could, believe me, I've tried a bunch of different ideas, but I can't make it look show quality.:bang:

I like the C&L kit i got from brenspeed, looks and works good, the aluminum looks nice and looks real sharp with the Ford intake cover i got from gefracing.com. Ford should quit nickle and diming and not make that stuff optional.

I like the C&L kit i got from brenspeed, looks and works good, the aluminum looks nice and looks real sharp with the Ford intake cover i got from gefracing.com. Ford should quit nickle and diming and not make that stuff optional.

i dunno, i like the engine without the cover, looks like an LS1. i dont hear people complaining about the looks of an LS1. :shrug: remember what the 2V 4.6L looked like? :eek: we have come a long way since then!

Don't forget the WMS CAI, probably the best if you emphasise the COLD part of "CAI" since it seals off that hot engine compartment air better than any of the others (if you buy the box). If I'm not mistaken they won top honors in the magazine tests, but that might have been on the 92-95mm versions.

Also worth mentioning I think, the C&L costs over $100 more than the JLT.

Don't forget the WMS CAI, probably the best if you emphasise the COLD part of "CAI" since it seals off that hot engine compartment air better than any of the others (if you buy the box). If I'm not mistaken they won top honors in the magazine tests, but that might have been on the 92-95mm versions.

Also worth mentioning I think, the C&L costs over $100 more than the JLT.

The WMS with the ram air box and the JLT are leading my list for CAI. I would love to get the WMS despite taking 1+ hour for the install...it seals off from the engine compartment plus has 3 good sized holes at the top of the grill to get air in.