• Rice 4 or 6 bangers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F gas prices, going electric

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martha Stewart

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Sponsors (?)

Boost is great, but I have a lot of respect for getting it done N/A. There is just way more thought and effort that goes into a 650 hp NA 408 than there is a 650 hp bewsted 347. Plus, there is just that much less that you have to wrench on with N/A.

Of course, hearing the supercharger whine or the turbo BOV makes me giggle like a school girl, so I guess either works. :D I'd love a big W, but I'm kind of thinking about doing a Dart block 363 in my car, just because I already have all the 8.2" junk and that way I could throw all the bewst at it that I want.

You know, that Is exactly what I've thought. For maximum hp potential with a turbo/blower, the only better option is a dart w as far as I can figure. I could push that further than a stock windsor and not worry about it breaking.

The whole reason I began this campaign was to put it on a buddy of mine with an ls2 camaro with a 76mm single. His last dyno pull was right at 900hp @25 psi and now he's rebuilding and shooting for 1100. No way will I ever catch him with a stock windsor block. I am determined to show him fox taillights- but it's gonna take a while!:)

in reality, i'm going to most likely end up using a dart block, planning at most 331 ci, not sure about heads yet, most likely trick flows, and a megasquirt unit, spyder intake, whatever AFM says to use for my cam, big fuel system, big ass single turbo, but thats down the road, i'm just starting on my notch and i want to build a good chassis foundation first, i have it stripped down to almost a bare shell, start with some battle boxes, a nice cage, tie the frame up, blast underneath and paint under hood, etc. then the suspension and drivetrain............ yadda yadda yadda.

Just because one guy in a very extreme application (50 psi and 9000+ RPM in a 2400 lb vehicle if I understand it correctly) runs a 4.6L doesn't mean that it is always the better choice over the 5.4L.

There are also plenty examples of insanely fast 5.4s out there. Don't the MMR guys have some ridiculous 5.4 stuff?

Anyway, in a street driven N/A application, I'd take a 5.4 any day of the week, no brainer. The 4.6 is just too small to make any sort of respectable torque without boost. Even with boost I'd do the 5.4, it would be the same power with less boost, or more power with the same boost.

dude :nonono: My buddies car (my 98gt clone) is making around 330ft on stock heads and cams, with a single plane eddy. Compression and bigger 3.7" bore make a huge difference on the mod motors. which his is only 3.552 bore.

look into the rod ratio of a 5.4, the piston speed is stupid fast, and there is a reason they are doing a bigger bore 5.8 in the gt500.

it would be less hp with the same boost just more tq. We have done the 5.4 2v swap, and making 375ft is fun, but 235rwhp isnt, especially when the power runs out at 4200rpm. It belongs in a truck, the 4v navi motors are loads better though, but crazy heavy.

You should love high rpm N/A cars, you have that black one sitting in the garage lol

dude :nonono: My buddies car (my 98gt clone) is making around 330ft on stock heads and cams, with a single plane eddy. Compression and bigger 3.7" bore make a huge difference on the mod motors. which his is only 3.552 bore.

look into the rod ratio of a 5.4, the piston speed is stupid fast, and there is a reason they are doing a bigger bore 5.8 in the gt500.

it would be less hp with the same boost just more tq. We have done the 5.4 2v swap, and making 375ft is fun, but 235rwhp isnt, especially when the power runs out at 4200rpm. It belongs in a truck, the 4v navi motors are loads better though, but crazy heavy.

You should love high rpm N/A cars, you have that black one sitting in the garage lol

Nik has a high RPM black engine in his garage? Sure you're not confusing him with me?

Don't you still owe me a ride in that car? :D

Meh, the R/S ratio isn't much worse than a 347, and even then, it doesn't seem to cause any problems in performance applications. The GT500s seem to get along fine.

If I were to do a 5.4, it would definitely have a set of Termi heads on it, possibly even ported ones. No way would I be going 2V! Gotta let that thing breathe! :nice:

Oh believe me, I do! I despise anything that gets shifted below 6K, haha.

Nik has a high RPM black engine in his garage? Sure you're not confusing him with me?

I think you may have been on StangNet moderator-induced vacation for the bulk of my build, haha. Yea, my '86 is now a screamer, see my sig. Still working out some details, but should be a mid-low 12 car. I've been shifting at 6100-6200, but only to avoid the factory limiter. I'm going to pick up a quarterhorse this winter and raise the limiter and probably shift somewhere around 6400-6600. Not exactly mind-blowing RPM, but pretty decent for a stock bottom end. :D

Rod ratio dosent mean all that much. It comes into play with F1 motors, but for the average V8 stuff we do, the rod length isnt going to affect power output or rpms enough to be a concern

I think you may have been on StangNet moderator-induced vacation for the bulk of my build, haha. Yea, my '86 is now a screamer, see my sig. Still working out some details, but should be a mid-low 12 car. I've been shifting at 6100-6200, but only to avoid the factory limiter. I'm going to pick up a quarterhorse this winter and raise the limiter and probably shift somewhere around 6400-6600. Not exactly mind-blowing RPM, but pretty decent for a stock bottom end. :D

I saw most of your build, and enjoyed it. It was late when i made my post because he said the black engine in your garage and i thought you painted most of yours silver or gunmetal or something. Thought he was talking about an engine on a stand.

In any way, RPM is fun, i cant wait to hear mine scream at 7000

I saw most of your build, and enjoyed it. It was late when i made my post because he said the black engine in your garage and i thought you painted most of yours silver or gunmetal or something. Thought he was talking about an engine on a stand.

In any way, RPM is fun, i cant wait to hear mine scream at 7000

Oooooh, gotcha. Makes sense now. I think he was referring to the color of the car. Yea, the engine block/bellhousing/oil pan are all painted a cast iron color.

nik, that blue sn95 I was turning 7100-7200 all day, just depends on the balance! stock rods and crank, probe pistons.

as for my dream engine build, I would do a 4.150 bore dart, with a 289 crank. 225cc heads, super victor intake, carb. and about 13.1-1 comp. and turn the bitch around 9k.

or big bore teksid, stock stroke, trickflow R's, huge cams in the 260ish duration. 14.1-1 with a carb. The nmra guys have been running 9000+ rpm with milder setups than this, so im assuming it would be crazy like this.

nik, that blue sn95 I was turning 7100-7200 all day, just depends on the balance! stock rods and crank, probe pistons.

as for my dream engine build, I would do a 4.150 bore dart, with a 289 crank. 225cc heads, super victor intake, carb. and about 13.1-1 comp. and turn the bitch around 9k.

or big bore teksid, stock stroke, trickflow R's, huge cams in the 260ish duration. 14.1-1 with a carb. The nmra guys have been running 9000+ rpm with milder setups than this, so im assuming it would be crazy like this.

Both of those would be badass builds! The SN95, does it have stock rod bolts, too?

Damn, I was just shopping junkyard 5.4s on the internet, and I can't find hardly anything for less than $2K. It ain't cheap being a Ford guy. Guess I'll stick with my pushrod junk for now.

Im just under the assumption that there's nothing a LSX motor can do that the windsor can not...Thats why the windsor got my vote:nice:, Might as well keep it in the family.

The iron block LS junk is a lot more durable than the Windsor (which says a lot, because the big W can usually handle 700 or so at the crank). That would be the one distinct advantage that I see, ignoring the fact that LS stuff comes from the factory with much better top end parts than the W ever did. That can be made up for with buying aftermarket parts, though. :D

I think the LS stuff has better aftermarket support because they have to compete with factory heads that flow over 300 CFM and dont have to work around the narrowminded "165cc is plenty big" attitude that alot of SBF guys have. Six bolt mains, bigger motor in a smaller package, cheap aluminum blocks if you want to go that route, more advanced ECU's, factory coil on plug, 500+hp using a JY bottom end. There are alot of things that are more desirable about an LSx than a SBF.

If i was rich, id have one of everything, 4.6cobra, another lightning with a turbo 5.4, S-10 with a LS and a 76mm turbo, A shoebox Chevelle with an angry big inch LS motor, LSx road race notch for kicks, Bigh inch winsdor, Proline motor in a ZR1 vette... i could go on like this for a while, ill stop before run myself poor buying lottery tickets.