best way to clean my engine?

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
the big 3 day detail is coming up soon to get the stang ready for nice weather. i want to get the engine looking spic and span too. hows the best way to clean it? its not nasty and not oily. actually its fairly clean just dusty and such. what can i spray on the motor that will not discolor anything, wont hurt the paint if it splashes on it, wont eat any wires or hoses, etc. ? is there anything i can just spray on and rub a little and hose off? im scared to death about getting any electronics wet. what all would need to be bagged to prevent this?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm usually ok with bagging the distributor, main harness at the firewall, battery and fuse box. With that said, I always just used the simple green spray on/spray off at the car wash (being carefull not to get the high pressure hose too close to anything). I did that all the time for about 5 years. When I pulled the motor, it was fairly clean and there wasn't any damage to the gaskets either.

I heard there are some steam cleaners that work pretty well too. Some detail shops will use an acid wash that I'm sure I'm comfortable with.

I use WD40 all the time for this....specially if the motors fairly clean. It'll put a nice shine on all the wires and rubber while cleaning up the grime.

If it gets on any paint, no harm done..I use it for removing bugs and road grime before I wax. I always detail the firewall with WD.. Just mist everything than use rags/ q-tips to clean it up.

I just did mine the other day and it came out awesome, Simple green (full strength). First I sprayed my dist. down completly with silicone spray and wd40 on the inside, then sprayed the whole engine down with simple green, then high pressure and hot water blasted it. after it was nice and dry, I used the Maguires rubber and vinyl conditioner on all the hoses and black parts, then sprayed silicone spray on my battery and cables (wipe the excess of this off). Engine looks like new, and I never have a problem starting it afterword.