Best way to fix door hinges

1996Z15

Apr 17, 2005
So. New Jersey
I have a '93 coupe that had loose hinges when I purchased it 4 years ago. I had the hinge pin / bushing kit installed and it really didn't improve the situation much at all; not sure if the body shop installed them wrong or not.
Now that I am thinking of keeping the car I'd like to get the hinges repaired the right way and was wondering what that would be. While I had the car at the local Ford dealership I asked them how much it would cost to fix the hinges and they quoted me something like $1,200.00 to replace the hinges on both doors; I almost crapped myself.

What do you guys recommend to repair the door hinges so they stay tight for years to come and don't wear in a few years?

• Sponsors (?)

whats the problem? do they creak really bad or something? or are they sagging or something? if they're still creaking, the body shop may not have changed the bushings when they replaced the hinge pins, but i don't see why they'd do that. spray some wd40 or some other spray lube on them.

The driver's side door kind of creaks but, like you said, I can take care of that with some lithium grease. My bigger concern is how sloppy the door is in the pins; when I go to close the door it kind of moves around before it closes and I can grab the door and lift up on it and it moves up and down quite a bit.
Another thing is the fact that the roller thing no longer holds the door in the open position. If I open the door it just swings back closed again unless I hold it open.

The driver's side door kind of creaks but, like you said, I can take care of that with some lithium grease. My bigger concern is how sloppy the door is in the pins; when I go to close the door it kind of moves around before it closes and I can grab the door and lift up on it and it moves up and down quite a bit.
Another thing is the fact that the roller thing no longer holds the door in the open position. If I open the door it just swings back closed again unless I hold it open.

I don't have loose pins, but do have the problem with the door stop being broken. The problem is there is a flat piece of spring steel that rides on the little white roller. It breaks off. I've yet to see any suggestion on repairing that problem.