best x-pipe

Beasty306GT

Dec 19, 2002
Oxford,Mass
what up? does any one know the loudest catted x-pipe that would sound good on an 89 gt??i failed emmisions today and need to chage out the off road x-pipe...i love the sound of them....i need the closets sounding x-pipe...opions plaease everyone:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I just installed a Bassani X-Pipe w/cats last weekend and I think it sounds sweet! It was very easy to install (compared to the BBK POS I had on it before), and has a similar tone to an even older BBK off road H-pipe I used to have.

Just a heads up.... I took my 93GT in with an H that had 2 hi-flo cats in place of the 4 stockers and they failed me....even tho my numbers easily passed! :notnice: They told me it would run even cleaner with the pre-cats and made me hunt down a stock pipe. I immediately ordered an O/R X! Takes I little extra time to swap the pipes every year...but if they wanna F^&@ with me, I can play too. :D

lol you went to go get tested and you went with an o/r pipe?? :rlaugh:

I am going to do it this year like that. I am tired of swapping them out. There are soooo many tricks to get it to pass:
Dump in some "Gaurenteed to pass" that you can get at autozone
Back the timing to like 6 degrees BTDC
loosen up all of the flanges in exhaust just enough so there is a leak(it'll draw in air and essentially dilute the gases, actually more efficiently than a smog pump would.
Also a pint of pure rubbing alcohol in the tank lowers the burn point of the ignition and therefore decrease CO emission!

So... I am gonna get tested w/ no cats, no smog and hope I pass :D

If not I'll hop on the local forum and have some guys point me in the direction of a shop that would pass me...

Man, I went with cats, and a smog pump and barely squeeked by... and I mean BARELY.

If they visually failed you for two cats, why did they still run you on the rollers. If they failed me before I was on, I would have left. I had 2 stock cats (cut and welded stock H) on my long tubes, and somehow passed, and my friend did the same with his HCI car, and he went through easily, with NO smog pump.

I've never had problem's gettting an inspection, I also, look around, reason is this: I look for very young inspectors, or very old,very young understand situations, money ect.. the old don't actually know what the hell there looking at:)

PS: btw all, I'm new to the boards, please be gentle!

Magnaflow X on mine and it smogged better than my corolla. lol
Kevin

I have the Magnaflow catted X as well.... love the sound and install was perfect. Plus passed CA smog easily. It smogged better than my brother's 95 honda civic and mom's 96 toyota camry.

Definitely going back to the test only station I went last time around, I never saw the guy really visually inspect for cats, he just did a quick look in the engine bay. I've heard that some places won't even continue the test if they have to crawl under the car to hook up the sniffer if you have dumps(mine drop down right after the rear axle), but this guy didn't mind at all.

My parents just moved to a county where they don't require smog unless you plan on selling your vehicle so I plan on registering my car there soon.... wish I knew that before buying the catted x though.