BFG KDW?

ArkansasMystic

Feb 16, 2007
I'm beginning to search for some new tires for my 96 Cobra. I've used Nitto 555's in the past, currently have some Hankook A/S tires. Neither are just exceptional when it comes to traction. I'm thinking about buying a set of winter tires for my stock rims, and running a summer tire on my 03 Cobras. I'm really thinking about going back to nitto's, but I've heard a ton of good stuff about the BFG KDW (new tread). Will these hook better than the 555's? My car is my dd, so wear is very important. How many miles are you guys getting on a set? How is wet/dry traction? If I can find them, I'll be running 275/40/17's all around. Thanks for any input.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Sponsors (?)

KDW's are a good tire. They will hook better than a 555. But not better than a Nitto Drag Radial. The wear was good on my KDW's. I had them on a 97 Cobra. Hooked great on the street and okay at the track for a street tire...2.0 60ft times.

I've never ran the Nitto DR's, I need more than 15k miles out of a set of tires. For one, I'm going from a 245/45/17 to a 275/40/17 so that should help some. My main concern is how many miles I can get out of them. Will they handle better than 555's on both wet/dry conditions? Thanks for the info so far, and I'll definitely look into those suggestions.

I am also. Isn't the KDW 2 the same as the KDW N/T? On their site that I linked to, it shows the old design and the new. I know I haven't found the 275's online anywhere for sale, but from my understanding it shows it on their site. Do you guys think a 255/45/17 KDW2 would be better than a 275/40/17 Nitto 555 (not drag radial)? It's a dd so it gets driven in both wet and dry conditions. It seems they will last longer than 555r's, but will they last the 30k that I got out of my regular 555's? Thanks!

These are a good tire as everyone else has said. There are two tread designs for this tire. the new tread looks like a flame pattern and only comes in 255/40 form. The old tread design comes in 275/40 and looks like an Eagle F1 tire. The new tread design is sweet looking and completely different from any other tire that i've seen and this is what i have on my front rims now. They are a little noisy on certain road surfaces but nothing that loud exhaust and a radio can't fix. Wet traction is superior and dry traction is great for a street tire.

KDW2s will last more than 15k easy. They stick really well in the dry, even when cold, and the wet traction is incredible. An amazing tire IMO.

D

+100000000000000!!!! My thoughts exactly. I will also add that they are the best tires I have ever had ( way better than 555's which suck in the rain IMO). My fronts are still going, & have over 25k+ miles on them even with no rotation, & aggressive driving. I got about 20k out of my last set of rears, but that was with multiple burnouts & donuts...

I'm not one for burn outs, but I do spin a good bit under hard acceleration. I know that increases wear, but if I could get a tire that would hook it wouldn't be a problem. If a 255 KDW will have better wet and dry traction than 275 Nitto 555's, it's gonna be my next tire. Also, I hear BFG's run very wide, and the Nittos run very small, so the two sizes may actually be very close. How well do the KDW's hook on the track? I don't run enough to justify a drag setup, usually 3-4 times a year. I'm getting 2.1-2.2 60ft times with the 555's (245/45/17). I'm hoping I can get better with the new tires (and practice). If I can get 25k plus, I'm content. Thanks everyone!

I'm not one for burn outs, but I do spin a good bit under hard acceleration. I know that increases wear, but if I could get a tire that would hook it wouldn't be a problem. If a 255 KDW will have better wet and dry traction than 275 Nitto 555's, it's gonna be my next tire. Also, I hear BFG's run very wide, and the Nittos run very small, so the two sizes may actually be very close. How well do the KDW's hook on the track? I don't run enough to justify a drag setup, usually 3-4 times a year. I'm getting 2.1-2.2 60ft times with the 555's (245/45/17). I'm hoping I can get better with the new tires (and practice). If I can get 25k plus, I'm content. Thanks everyone!

U know what I just realized, & this is a downer, but BFG doesnt make the KDW2 in a 275/40/17??? Im not too sure why they don't because the KDW2 is one of the most popular tires, & thats one of the most popular 17" sizes???:shrug:

Yep, I just realized that. I read their site wrong, the 275/40 is the old tread, not the new. I don't mind the 255's, the 275's like to wander the road a little too much for my taste. There's a .8 difference in width, but as said with both tires in question running over/under stated size, they should be close enough.

Yep, I just realized that. I read their site wrong, the 275/40 is the old tread, not the new. I don't mind the 255's, the 275's like to wander the road a little too much for my taste. There's a .8 difference in width, but as said with both tires in question running over/under stated size, they should be close enough.

Yeah, I dislike 275's in the front for 2 reasons, they track too much, & its too much sidewall in front IMO... When I said 275/40/17, I meant for the rear though....

I also have the KDW (old tread) on my 91 coupe. They handle well, & are good in the rain, but they dont really hook worth a damn IMO. The car has a decent amount of torque though, maybe thats why???

That could be it. I'm gonna run the same size all around so I can rotate them (reason why I have 17x9's all around and not 17x10.5 rears). So, how about performance at the track, should I be able to cut better 60ft times with them than the 555's (and how are they compared to 555r's)? The reason for so many questions is that I have 2 sets of rims. I'm either gonna run a summer set on one and winter set on the other or I'll do an all season tire on my chrome 04 Cobras and a drag radial for the track on my stock rims. I'm wanting the summer/winter setup, just want to make sure the few trips I make to the track I'll be able to hook.

That could be it. I'm gonna run the same size all around so I can rotate them (reason why I have 17x9's all around and not 17x10.5 rears). So, how about performance at the track, should I be able to cut better 60ft times with them than the 555's (and how are they compared to 555r's)? The reason for so many questions is that I have 2 sets of rims. I'm either gonna run a summer set on one and winter set on the other or I'll do an all season tire on my chrome 04 Cobras and a drag radial for the track on my stock rims. I'm wanting the summer/winter setup, just want to make sure the few trips I make to the track I'll be able to hook.

I suggest just getting some all seasons for regualr use, & a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials or Hoosiers if u want to hook @ the track... Neither the BFG's or the Nittos will hook very well at the track IMO.

The track isn't a major concern. I'd rather hook better on the street all the time versus having traction issues on the street and not the track. As long as the KDW hooks on the track better than my 245/45/17 555's, they'll be fine. Street performance is my main concern, I'd even settle for less performance on the track if it meant better traction on the street. I don't street race, but there have been several times when I've got on it and lost traction. A time or two it came close to getting out from under me. I wanna make sure this doesn't happen. Also, with me only hitting the track 3-4 times a year (1000ft. track), spending $400 on track tires doesn't quite seem worth it. That's why I'm leaning towards the summer/winter setup. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!