big problem with heat and power loss

deadlast

Mar 30, 2005
Belmont, MA
obviously its not avoidable but i think im loosing too much power as my engine warms up. When i first start my car up in the morning, i could be cruising in second around 2000 rpms, floor it and just roast the tires for ever. however when my car is warmer (always at the border of hot and normal, but still in the normal band) i have trouble roasting the tires in first. Now comn, this shouldnt be. What are some cheap things to lower the temp for now? new coolant, different thermo? How much would a hig flow water pump and better radiator help?

• Sponsors (?)

I experience a similiar power loss. Whenever I start my car I let it idle for about a minute and then I take off. Going down my street at 1/4" throttle the car feels incredible but then maybe a minute or two later it feels like it's lost something. I'm thinking it's going into closed loop and the readings from my o2's are bad. So I guess my first step is to replace them and go from there.

The act sensor pulls to much timing when warm this is the reason for a tune or people which computers to 93 and under. If you have a na motor then turn it off and your problems go away. It took me 3 months to find this out. because I would lose about 3 tenths on the 1/8.

I have the same EXACT problem. It gets really annoying, so if I just unplug the ACT will it go away?
I have a 95 BTW. (woops thought this was in the 5.0 section, lol yeah so same year as you guys ;))

Kind of a normal thing. Happens to all.

When you first start up the motor, the air charge temp (act) is very cool thus giving you a more dense mixture.

Same kinda thing as iceing down your intake at the dyno or strip.

Grady

final5-0 said:

When you first start up the motor, the air charge temp (act) is very cool thus giving you a more dense mixture.

Grady
Should this feel like a 4cyl vs an 8cyl? Its not all the time, but occasionally the car feels really weak.

final5-0 said:

Grady

yes yes i know, but im really surprised how much power i actually loose.