binding tie rods

xpeteyjtx

Dec 29, 2005
Taunton, MA
Ever since I lowered my car with the Eibach Pro-Kit, my tie rods have been binding and I am afraid that they are going to break off or something. Would offset rack bushings help with this? I heard they will but I am not sure. I want to know what route to take in fixing this and it seems as though offset bushings would be the best idea. Thanks for the advice in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

When you lower the car, the postion of the tie rods realitive to the postion of the lower A-arm changes so that the two do not follow the same path anymore.

Either a bump steer kit from one of the known companies or the rack bushings should help eleviate the situation.

It seems like the suspension travels a lot, but I honestly am not really sure. When I take a turn and let off the brake, I can hear a popping sound... I am guessing that this is the tie rod since I have fairly new ball joints, struts, springs, and sway bar hardware. What rack bushings would you recommend? And how difficult is the install? What do I have to do?

If there is a popping sound in the front end, you need to fix it. One time it's gunna pop going around your favorite high speed turn and it's just gunna pop apart, leaving you with no steering. Fix the problem first before buying anything to correct bumpsteer. If it is a tie rod problem, then a bump steer kit replaces the outers anyway, and you kill two birds with one stone.

That's what I was wondering - you say you're not low enough for bumpsteer yet have a binding or popping. That's weird.

Are you sure the end links are tight? It's not the caliper making noise (it loads pretty hard while turning).

I'm with Nick all the way - you gotta get that diagnosed ASAP - and I'm not sure that offset rack bushings are the fix. Just MHO there.

My recollection from MM: offset bushings on a stock K aren't great, and solid bushings on a stock K aren't great.
That said, I know a few folks running solid bushings on the stock K. You gotta make sure the edges are clean and true though (since there's no soft bushing to 'absorb' the imperfections). I have NOT used either however (I have some fresh straight poly's sittin on the shelf for next time).

Good luck.

Well I only get the popping when I'm on cornering and then release the brake. Im sure the caliper wouldnt make a noise, atleast it never did before the drop. End links are new and they look pretty tight.

here are some pics

looking at the angle of the tie rods scares me... i dont know if i should be concerned... I drive this thing every day

For one, the end links are too tight. They shouldn't be squished like that. Just tight enough so they don't slop around. That is why the nuts are nylon locking nuts. So you don't have to tighten them down that much and they won't back out.

I would put the front of the car in the air on jackstands or what not... Grab the tire and wiggle it side to side and up and down. If you have ANY play, there is something bad in the front end. The up and down would be a ball joint.. side to side would be an inner tie rod or outer. Double check everything before you buy anything! :nice:

Nick

I'm thinkin something like that's gotta help. I havent been under nearly as many stangs as Nick and others have, but that thing looks fairly low and the suspension geometry looks crappy (Ackerman, etc).

Good luck.

xpeteyjtx said:
Well I only get the popping when I'm on cornering and then release the brake. Im sure the caliper wouldnt make a noise, atleast it never did before the drop. End links are new and they look pretty tight

My cars pretty low and my tie rod angle is very close to yours, maybe not quite as extreme as yours. I get zero binding with mine and I dont have offset rack bushings. I think your problem is elsewhere. Ball joint problems are sometimes hard to find with the coil spring pushing on them its hard to tell if they're loose. How many miles on the chassis?

I can speak from experience on the offset rack bushings that they wil help. I had major suspension bind until I put the bushings in and it let the suspension move like it is supposed to. I have FRPP B Springs and they are not supposed to lower as much as Eibachs. I had a popping sound to and took it to a shop where we could find the problem and started with the rack bushings. Just to be safe spend the money on the tie rod ends as well, they will make it that much better and safer.