blew mufflers to shreds......... why???

robbo1987*2.3*

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2002
varina, va
Well like it says my car ( see sig) backfired loud enough to get the police called to my house today:rlaugh: The car is loading up real bad im guessing. Itll be running fine then itll just die, almost like you pulled the plug off the coil. When you try to start it back up it will spit and sput then cut off. After a few times of spitin and sputtin it started bck up purring like a kitten then BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: it backfired and cut off. Did the boom and cutting off thing 3 times then it started up and ran like nuthing happened. It will just randomly do this and i dont know why:shrug::stupid: It's done the cutting off and not wanting to start back up twice this month (well febuary ) but it never backfired till today. Like i said when she is runnin, she is runnin great.

oh yea almost forgot it literally blew both my cheapo thrush mufflers to shreds looks like a bomb went off inside them lol

any sugestions very much appreciated lata

robbo

• Sponsors (?)

Shortly before I stopped driving my old stang it would do something weird, almost like what you're describing.

It would be running fine and then would suddenly start to barely run...sounded like it was choking out. The only way you could get it to not do that was to floor it, and it still felt like it had little power.

If you pushed the gas in part way while it was doing that, it would just "choke" more and more until it either stopped or did something weird. It only backfired a couple times, one time it made this really loud "clunk" that sounded like somebody hit the side of the engine with a hammer.

I dunno what the hell was wrong with it but it was worse when it was wet. I think the TFI may have been going out but I'm not sure, never found out.

nail on the head

thats exactly what its doin red especially the clunk part. I changed plug wires and regapped my plugs. Unhooked the msd box and put allthat back to stock and it hasent done it since so i dunno. ill keep yall updated

Changing the wires probably solved the problem. I had the same problem with (don't tell anyone) an '86 Camaro. It died on me on the way home and I was on the side of the road looking at things under the hood. It would idle fine, but rev it up and black smoke and little back fires kept coming out of the exhaust. I kept fiddling and revving it up trying to find the actual problem, and on one throttle blip, it back fired and blew the muffler. I gave up on it and had it towed home.

I get it home start fiddling some more and found the coil wire had rubbed through the insulation where it was laying on the intake manifold. Did I mention I found it the hard way? Yeah, getting zapped by your ignition hurts like bitch. New plug wires and a trip to the muffler shop cured it.