Blew stuff up at the track

Pops Fun

10 Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi
I haven't posted in quite a while. Maybe some one will be interested. Here is a thread about my vortech build. Thought you might be interested since I used a very thick gasket Cosmetic .071 (edit) to bring the compression down. Looks like it lasted about 3 years, before blowing. I run the car a fair amount. :D My best was an 11.696 on slicks.

Went to Tri-State sat. and made 3 runs. On the last run white smoke came billowing out!! :eek:
There is a video and my run is about 1/2 way through.

I am the red vert about 5:30 in. Figure i blew a head gasket and maybe more. A slipping clutch may have finally done me in. Will look at it over the weekend .

Steve

• Sponsors (?)

S T E V E :D

Whuz Up ... Young Man ;)

Sorry to hear you broke your Stang :bang:

Get that boy of yours buzy :Word:

Tell him he needs to get Dad's toy back on the street ... Like Yesterday :rlaugh:

Good to see you here again my friend :nice:

Grady

Hi
finally got a little done. my son had the plugs out when I arrived and was doing a coolant leak check. The leak check was good it held pressure 5 minutes. Used a borescope and what we could see looked good... no holes in pistons!! Found a lose hose going to water pump.. At this point I felt hopeful. We went and got some plugs and oil. While changing oil we discovered the pieces.

Not feeling so good now. Going to do a leak down tomorrow night.

Here is a picture of the spark plugs.. :(

View attachment 238378

and here are the pieces found in the oil.. :( View attachment 238379

The dime was definitely a bonus :rlaugh:

Here is one problem:: Now what to do.... replace at least 2 pistons.... or replace 8 with a lower compression piston.. Advantage go to a stock head gasket.
Would my boost come up or how much HP would I lose?
Oh I haven't seen it yet but my son says the clutch is down to bare metal!! :rolleyes:

View attachment 238142

Don't have the block out yet!!
I'll probably take it to an engine builder and have him magnaflux the block and look for cracks and let him tell me what needs to be done.. hope to have the block out.... maybe Tuesday night.