Blinker/hazard light problem

Josh94gt

May 10, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
All of a sudden today my right turn signal indicator started flashing about twice as fast as usual. The left signal works fine. I also tried the hazard lights, and noticed that the left came on but the right didn't until I wiggled the hazard switch on top of the steering column. After doing that, none of the turn signals worked, then I switched on my headlights and everything worked great.

All the bulbs still work, including brakes, headlights lo/hi, turn, and hazards (tested them while everything was working again).

I parked the car at home and waited about 10 minutes, then started it up and the problem re-appeared, but went away when I wiggled the hazard switch.

I searched around and found related issues, including suggestions to replace the blinker relay box (yellow thing on the fuse box) and the actual multifunction switch in the steering column. Should I just go ahead and do one or both of those, or is there anything else I should try?

Also, I have had another problem - this is when starting the car. I will turn the key to "start" and nothing will happen. I have to usually put the ignition back to "off" and then try again a couple of times before it will actually try to start. What could cause this besides a bad starter (worn ignition switch?)

Is this something I should try to fix while I have the steering column pulled apart?

• Sponsors (?)