Blown spark plug out Cyl. #7 twice...Advice/Suggestions.

Ok, I have twice now blown the spark plug out Cylinder #7 (pretty sure it's #7 - drivers side, second from last). Completely out of the head. This time it almost completely snapped off the tab that sticks out of the coil pack where it screws down to the head. I bought the car a year ago used. When this happened the first time I replaced the blown plug with exactly the same type. An Autolite (Ford says Motorcraft only, but I bought it that way). Well it happened again last Friday and I was just pulling away from a traffic light. I wasn't getting on it.

It is now at my local Ford dealership. And they are taking their sweet time, but they say it looks like the head will have to be taken off and retapped (coil tap?). I was told by their parts department that they have someone here locally that does this really well and that they have seen this before but mainly in trucks with 4.6L and 5.4L.Thank goodness I bought a full drive train warranty.

My concern is that my stang will not be the same. Although maybe it will be better cause I have a feeling I was loosing compression on this cylinder because the plug was obviously not seating right. The boot that extends down from the coil pack to the plug looks really worn, like maybe from blow-by coming past the plug. I know that replacing the head altogehter is the best option but I don't know if the warranty company is going to go for that.

Any insight or advice appreciated. I want my Pony back!!!!!:( :bang: :bang: :(

• Sponsors (?)

Sparkplug blowing out of head is common issue with our car. Consider yourself extremely lucky having drivetrain warrenty, as most don't, and pay good chunk to fix it.

As far as fixing it goes, I was told not to Helicoil aluminum head. you might want to search the forum, as this has been discussed many times in the past.
I'm waiting for mine to go. Because when it does, I'm gonna get P&P head instead of fixing head i have

I just had this happen to my car, my service guy said ford didn't recommend repairing the head, they replaced mine which was covered under warranty. They tried to say they could dispute the claim becuase I had aftermarket plugs in it :bs: , needless to say they replaced the head.

Lol this crap just happened to my friends stock lighting. He took it in with his full warranty and the ford dealer wouldn't cover it. He had it retapped for like 200 dollars and as he was driving home it happened again.

If i were you I would just another head cause its going to happen again. Maybe not now but it will happen. I would be scared to spray or boost the car if that can happen.

GoBabyVroommm said:
Lol this crap just happened to my friends stock lighting. He took it in with his full warranty and the ford dealer wouldn't cover it. He had it retapped for like 200 dollars and as he was driving home it happened again.

If i were you I would just another head cause its going to happen again. Maybe not now but it will happen. I would be scared to spray or boost the car if that can happen.

They cannot NOT cover it, it's a known defect. I would argue like hell if I were him.

san~man said:
They cannot NOT cover it, it's a known defect. I would argue like hell if I were him.

Yep. THANK GOODNESS!!! My head is being replaced by Fidelity Warranty Service because it "IS A KNOWN DEFECT" The $1400 I added into financing for my warranty has proven to be a wise investment. They are covering all costs except my $100 deductible. Even paying for towing charges and offered me a rental car. I still have another 3 yrs. left on warranty. Awesome company. I highly recommend them.:hail2: :hail2: :nice:

Lav_2002GT said:
Yep. THANK GOODNESS!!! My head is being replaced by Fidelity Warranty Service because it "IS A KNOWN DEFECT" The $1400 I added into financing for my warranty has proven to be a wise investment. They are covering all costs except my $100 deductible. Even paying for towing charges and offered me a rental car. I still have another 3 yrs. left on warranty. Awesome company. I highly recommend them.:hail2: :hail2: :nice:

Good to hear!! :nice: