boosting an n/a motor

GTPhreak

Founding Member
Mar 16, 2000
Rowlett, TEXAS
Soooooooooo...Whilst cruising around yesterday, It came to me that one of my buddies had a spare E6 and IHI. What all would be needed to fit it to my 93? I figured some 24-30lb injectors and matching maf would work? I know about the oil lines and all that jazz.

• Sponsors (?)

Look up turbogroups on Yahoo for DP DIS with turbos. It can be done but its a little more research to do it. I think there is a few ways to do it and one cost a ton like using a MSD DIS II box which is like 300.00 and a Pro-M for another 300.00 + bux. The other way is cheaper but you really have to know what your doing. Either way I don't think you can use pass 17psi of boost. That is all a friend of mine is running on his DIS DP 2.3L and it detonates past that. I'm sure you still need some of the typical stuff like the EEC, 30-35lb injectors and VAM.

Good Luck :)

GTPhreak said:
going to run stock ecu. bolt and go :p

I am going for the "impossible" :p

Where at in west Texas are ya?

Those here that know me know I like to do stuff the hard way ;)

I'm the same way, in life I love to do it the hard way its fun, but I've researched the DIS DP 2.3L with a turbo for almost a year. I only seen it done a few times. I actually got to ride around in a car that had it done and it was fun. (That car was using the typical turbo stuff on a DIS DP 2.3L) I would research it on Yahoo turbogroups, because stuff like the N/A EEC want fire a turbo injector since a turbo is Low impendance and the N/A is high impendance. I guess you could figure out a MAF conversion instead of a VAM but I think you have to run one off a Cobra like a 94-95'.

I live in Midland, Tx by the way :nice:

oh you can bet i will...and i will have a faster car built over the period of a weekend than a certain one i know with 2 yrs downtime

::eek:: that had to hurt
ok ok, so maybe not, but at least it will be faster than it is now

Okay, so let's say that you bolted the E6 and turbo on. Now you need to swap injectors for 35# low imp. ones, which requires a turbo ECU. Necessary to go VAM instead of MAF? I wouldn't think that would be too hard a switch, but I dunno. :shrug: Get an AFPR and bigger fuel pump, turbo-spec plugs and.....that should be about it except the ECU. Is there any precedent here? The Tuner group on Yahoo is a PITA to find info on, IMO. What's a BTM, Stinger?

EDIT:

GTPhreak said:
I figured some 24-30lb injectors and matching maf would work? I know about the oil lines and all that jazz.

I had skipped over that. :doh: Would that work with the turbo app? Can the n/a computer keep up with a calibrated MAF and bigger injectors, or what?

Ash

Wouldnt you need forged piston head and rods? maybe that's too obvious for anyone to mention. Or maybe I'm just wrong. But I'm pretty sure (unless you had a super-kickass intercooler set up) that your internals on the N/A aren't made to withstand all the heat that a turbo would be pushing at them. Like I said, I'm not positive, so don't jump on me. Just better safe then sorry, that's what I think.

From what i have been reading there safe under 10psi and thats if your carefull driving the thing. obviously forged pistons, rods and crank are a must for any boosted application.

The one thing i see is ppl who get turbo kits for there car they dont change the Compression ratio and then they wander why there motor is blown.

For the last two posts...the turbo crank/rods are the same in the n/a and turbo 2.3's...only the pistons are different (and the head design).

For what it's worth, you can run 20psi on the stock cast pistons if you want, they can handle it...just don't let there be any (even minor) problems with the tune or it will eat itself...

Crovax why did you bring this back up??
No I gave up on the 2.3 and got a 5.0 like every other mustang on the road..

(Not really but now I drive a 5.0 and dad drives the 2.3, I still think of swapping it to turbo sometimes)

Unfortunately though I have swapped gears and primarily modding the 302 now, maybe someday I will get back to the 140ci motor...