Brake bleeding help. Need advice ASAP please!

escudolm

Sep 6, 2002
I had to get a new brake bleeder bolt for the front driver side. When I went to advanced auto, they told me since my car has ABS, that a dealership has to reset it or else it wont work. He said I could finish bleeding the brakes and would have to have it towed to a ford dealership for them to reset or flash something for the ABS. Is this true?! I have a SCT Xcal2 if that does anything. Please tell me this is a joke. I have to drive my car to work tomorrow. Please help!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

If you mean a bleeder bolt for the caliper, you don't have to take it to the dealership for that :rolleyes:. You actually don't have to bleed it at all because that is the highest point on the caliper.

You can still just give it a bleed if it makes you feel better but don't go paying for a towing.

PS make sure no one touches the brake pedal while replacing the bleeder.

Alright, I read in the Haynes book, it says "On ABS models, plug the brake hose line after disconnecting or air will get in the Hydralic Control Unit, and if air gets into the HCU, it cannot be bleed properly from home." Now, I didnt plug it because I didnt see that part. But all I did was disconnect it, it sat for about a day, then we started working on it and bleeding it. Fluid was starting to come out of it too. Would it throw a code if the HCU was messed up? If so, I should be able to tell with the Xcal, right? Any advice at all is appreciated!!

That's not true. Nothing needs to be reset. Just bleed them like you would any other car. Just be careful not to get air in the ABS module.

If you disconnected it for a day, it should be fine. There is quite a bit of line the fluid needs to travel before oyu reach the module. Most often it runs dry when people forget to add fluid to the MC reseviour. If fluid immediately came out you should be ok.

I don't know what the guy at Advanced was talking about? Reset the ABS after a bleed? Did you laugh at him?

ToplessStang said:
Do you mean you disconnected the hose or bleeder and left it for a day to the point where all the brake fluid got out of the brake system?

+1

Either way, just bleed them and see how the brakes feel. IMO

Alright, just finished everything. After we got done, I drove it down the driveway and the pedal would still go all the way to the floor. Figured out it was leaking from where the brake line hose connects to the front passenger caliper. Tightned it up, and it works perfectly now. Stops alot better than before. Thanks for the advice and help. And no I didnt laugh at him, but maybe i'll go there tom. and do it.