Brenspeed / Comp NSR (No Springs Required) Cams

• Sponsors (?)

I just heard lastweek and listed to sound clips of the NSR cams that Ford Racing is coming out with. I hear they are supposed to give around 20 or more hp and dont cost as much to install since you use your stock springs.
I am waiting on more info on them as well as when they will be available on the market

if it sounds like the clip provided above, sound alone may make it worth while. :rlaugh:

127200.jpg

brenspeedcustomcam2.jpg

I made a few phone calls this morning (JPC, FRPP, Brenspeed), hopefully this will save you guys the trouble.

FRPP cams are not available yet and no release date or any other info is available from them yet.

I was however told (not by Ford) they will require springs, they will not lose any midrange torque, and gains will be 25-30 RWHP. Install prices will run around $1000 plus about $350 for tuning. Parts prices are not available yet obviously but total parts and labor is looking to be around 24-$2600.

Comp Cams is apparently coming out with something with a similar idle, TBD as far as the rest of the specs go. One thing to watch out for is whether or not FRPP is addressing the cam phaser issue, the Comps apparently will. I am not exactly sure what that means other than that there can be clearance issues under load if the cam phaser isn't adjusted, eliminated, recalibrated....:shrug:

Apparently the cam install is not that hard to do if you have the $300 or so worth of tools specifically for this motor. The really hard part that takes a lot of time is when you have to change the springs. From what I have been told it ends up being a long and tedious process which is why the labor cost is so high. Brenspeed charges around $280 for a cam swap, or $1400 for cam and springs.

Apparently the cam install is not that hard to do if you have the $300 or so worth of tools specifically for this motor. The really hard part that takes a lot of time is when you have to change the springs. From what I have been told it ends up being a long and tedious process which is why the labor cost is so high. Brenspeed charges around $280 for a cam swap, or $1400 for cam and springs.

Sweet, so when these NSR cams come out it'll open the job up to more people. I imagine you don't have to work with the heads that much then right? I've helped with cam swaps on OHC 4 bangers and it didn't seem that complicated.

Wow... as much as I want them... I didn't know the install was that involved....yikes!:eek:

Yeah, the install is apparently not fun. Brenspeed actually prefers to put the car up on the lift and drop the motor to do the install of the springs.

I am at the point that I don't really care though, hopefully FRPP or Comp releases the cams with the idle I want by the time I pull my car out in the spring because I am going to make the trip to Indiana to get them installed as soon as they are available. I realize that the dollar/horsepower ratio is pretty crappy but I NEED that idle. I haven't even driven my car in a few months and I constantly find myself daydreaming about the rumble that a good set of cams can give my car.

The twin screw is coming next year but I will be more than happy with the car until then if I can get a nice choppy sound and a few extra HP for now.