Bumpy/klunky noise from front suspension

fastblueroush

Apr 2, 2008
Hey guys -

I installed the Roush suspension this spring and really have to say I'd give it a 9 on a scale of 1-10. Handling is awesome and ride is very smooth even on city streets.

I do have a question though as part of this thread. It's related to the strut mount brackets. It seems like all of a sudden now when going over bumpy pavement at low speeds it sounds like something is loose in the front suspension. When the speed picks up I don't really hear it. It sounds like it's coming from the front strut towers, but I don't know for sure. The sound is definitely a suspension part sound and is kind of like a rattling noise like something is loose, so I was wondering if maybe it's the strut tower brackets. I had the Roush dealer in town do the install, so I was wondering if I should take it back ???

When I think about it I've heard it before from a Ford Taurus that's about 6 years old, kind of the same bumpy, clunky noise from the front suspension.

Any information you guys have would be appreciated to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have the Roush suspension or any suspension-related mods (unless you count a strut tower brace) and I have been experiencing what sounds like the same noise in the same conditions as you for the past couple of months. I can't tell if it's been getting worse or not but I'm going to have the dealer check it out the next time I'm in for an oil change. When I've been under the car I've looked around and tried to figure out what could be making the noise but no luck so far.

i had a similar noise after i installed my FRPP springs but i managed to fix it, We loosened everyting up and tightened it all back down again and it went away. Check the rubber gasket around your springs make sure it hasn't moved or been damaged it will cause a metal on metal clunk. I re-tightened all my strut mounts also. It hasn't come back yet.

Not sure it this helps but it has been said that the upper strut mounts are a one time use deal and if you replace the struts you should also replace the strut mounts.

Another thing I noticed on some other cars is that some car makers have sound deadening material applied to the strut towers, so tried this myself with some dynamat and is seems to make a difference. I placed the mat on the strut towers and also on the links that connect the sway bar to the struts and now the front end is dead silent. (I also have a Roush full suspension package)

I am getting the same problem on my 06 convertible. I replaced my shocks with Tokico ones and Steeda springs and it was fine for a while then started to get the noise. If I adjust to a stiffer mode on the Tokico, it isn't as bad but is noticeable. You can hear it especially if you go about 35 and drive the right tires over the lane separator bumps (on a 4 lane divided road of course).
I checked all my fittings and everything is tight. I didn't replace the upper mounts, however, I didn't take those off either when I replaced the springs and struts. I am considering the steeda upper strut mounts or some have recommended the GT500 ones. However, I heard some still have the issue. Don't think mine is covered under warranty however since I did the modifications and the TSB says it doesn't apply to convertibles.