Burned 67 Mustang GT cv

automart

Jan 26, 2006
Nashville, TN
Hi, I have access to purchasing a 67 Ford mustang CV 390 4v numbers car (automatic) but it is burned pretty badly, real bad actually. I don't have pictures now but will have. I know this was a rare car, is there anyway the engine is damaged in a fire, what else maybe worth salvaging?
I tried to load the pictures but it failed, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ronnie

Attachments

• PICT0022.jpg
    PICT0022.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 363
  • PICT0024.jpg
    PICT0024.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 334
  • Sponsors (?)

Most machinists will also tell you that engines that have been through a bad fire (is there ever a good fire?) are not worth rebuilding. The fire (and the water used to put out the fire) ruin the cast iron in the block and heads. In my opinion, that car is a write-off.

Actually, I know the guy and knew the circumstances around the car. It was a barn find in Tenn. He knew I fooled with mustangs and asked me if I was interested, of course I said yes, he did buy it but decided to restore it himself. He spend 30k bringing it back to stock, didn't ever think he would need insurance while in the garage then while working on a VW Bus next to the mustang a spark ignited a fuel line, air hose burned and the air hose spread the fuel. As you can see, it wasn't a pretty picture. I sure hate it for him.

Ronnie

No on the illegal VIN swap. Yes on the salvage, even if it means swapping over much of the sheet metal. However... you may not want to be the one to take on that task as it is pretty intensive. Buy it and flip it on eBay.

Here is another rescued burnt-out Mustang, a now modified 68 Fastback:
Trouble
40th1.jpg

It took money and effort, but the results are outstanding!

WOW, beautiful

But I'm not that good, I recently restored a 70 Mach I, 4 years in the process, I don't think I ever want to do it again, although I do love my car. I think I can get this burned car for $500 (trading him a car that runs) he extremely in debt because of the fire and I do feel for him. He said he was just checking around about insurance when the accident happened. I was lucky, I didn't get the insurance until my car was almost complete. Something for everyone to think about, it's not that expensive.

Ronnie

actually from the looks of it, the engine is probably salvageable and probably the 9" as well, trans is a maybe since it is an aluminum case. most really bad fires will melt carbs and anything that is almuninum, this one didn't even melt the battery, or the entire air filter from the looks of it, of course every single seal in the engine, trans and rearend would need replacing and there is still a chance of warpage, just look at the dash. the brakes and some suspension pieces may also be salvageable as well. not sure if you have $500 worth of salvageable parts there but you might have enough to build another car that is missing the entire drivetrain

He called me again today, really needing transportation. I have a problem with storing a vehicle like that. I don't live in the city but it's still an eye sore. Maybe I'll get it and just remove the good stuff and scrap iron the rest. I sure is ashame, I know those convertible frames are expensive. OUch!

Thanks for everyones opinion.

Ronnie

So what ever happened with this? Were you able to salvage anything? I'm looking at a burned '69 FB right now.. Car was fully restored and then electrical fire burned it to the ground. Trying to decide if its worth trying to salvage also..

absoulutly not useable, heat like that destroys the integrity of the steel
not even the sub frame should be reused as it would more than likely
fold under its own weight. in the case of a fire in a metal building it
would be torn down, interestingly enough wood structural beams
can be reused as the heat actualy strengthens them. the car is a loss

Update, the guy has terrible luck, Last year he went to eat and had a heart attack and died. so sad. I don't know what happened to the car. I just didn't want to go through that mess. If you think the car was bad and I did, he had the worst that could happen. RIP