Burning alternators!??

hillie16

Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
This is actually about the 5.0 in my truck, but I'm hoping someone can help. The alternator went bad in my truck, and I've had to replace it 3 times since in 3 months. The voltage regulator is new with each alternator. What could be causing it to burn up repeatedly? The battery is old but I've had it tested 3 times and they said the battery was fine. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you using a 2G or 3G?

Are the alt's coming from the parts store? If so, there might be nothing wrong with your ride. The stuff from parts stores can be quite lackluster, with crap components inside.......

Do you know how the alternators are failing? What kind of voltage do you see? Does it stay at around 15V or will it drop down to the 13.5 range once it's been run for a bit?

As long as your charge cable is not dropping a lot of voltage (which makes the alt kick up the output and can cause it to run warm) and the belt tension is proper, you really should not be frying them.

If you feel like testing your wiring for some reason, the regulator is lableled ASI.
A = battery voltage.
S = Stator. It floats about 1/2 battery voltage while the car runs.
I = Ignition turn-on. This shows nominal voltage while the car is running.

Good luck.

Don't run the vehicle without the battery connected. Figured i cover that....I know alot of folks that will pull the power cable off the Battery to see if the Alt works.....Also don't let your Alt. Charge a dead battery....Make sure the battery has been trickle charged and can start a vehicle on its own.

Figured ide cover some basics "just incase"

Chris

Oh yeah...i had a situation where alternators kept dieing on me...(swapped threw 3-4) Then i went and got one from a junk yard (Funny aint it) Its been fine ever since!!!!

Your "old battery" concerns me...I've seen batteries that have passed the "test" and yet ended being dogs that had no real stamina and ended perpetually putting a heavy load on the alt and wrecking it. Maybe it's time for a new battery...

Also, I have seen people buy the cut rate "reman" alts and literally go through up to 4 of them in a matter of weeks until buying a higher quality product.

Since your truck ran before, this is where I would start - new battery and higher quality alt. This is easy and, in any event, your money will not be wasted (and we're not talking big bucks here).

If these initial basics don't solve it, then dig deeper.

Good luck!

The first 2 replacements were remans, the third is new. I need to do some testing....

Maybe or maybe not. I've not had much luck with parts store stuff. The components don't often hold up to stress or heat. Just something to remember if your wiring looks sound.

If you had a big wiring issue (or something that was erroneously frying alts), it should show itself a lot sooner than a couple months into a new alt.

Like mentioned battery might be checkign good, but could be taking charge liek it should and over working alt..

I did the 3g swap in my 94 f-150.. Nothing worng with stock ALT just needed more juice when I put the amp, electric fan and fog lights on. didnt cost me anything though, since I had an extra 3g alt and mustang alt bracket laying around. There is a direct swap one, from a "E" series van but cant remeber what year exactly, but do remeber the alt was costly, so thats why I ude stang parts..