Burnt clutch cable

stangman16

Nov 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
This is more for my classic mustang with 302 and hedman headers (it is EFI, or almost there though :D )

Anyhow, I can't seem to get much clearance between the cable and the hedder, probably 1/2" or so, and I was curious if using hedder wrap/tape would help solve my problem of burning the clutch cable? I took out the old one and I cannot move the cable by hand at all. I've searched for alternate routing methods and I think I've got the best one. So either I can try hedder wrap or some kind of heat shield. I would rather not upgrade $500 to a hydraulic clutch, so any advice on this would be great. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure how it would equate dynamically to your '66, but the SN95 cable is a bit longer (popular with fox III guys and LT's). MM sells the cable for a reasonable price.

Good luck.

What a wuss, my '66 still has the factory style contraption of levers and pivots and whatnot for the clutch. :D

Seriously though, like hissin said, the SN95 cable is noticably longer. I put one from MM on my '90, and it is definitely longer. It might give you extra room to get it away from the exhaust.

Header wrap might solve the problem, or it might just take longer to melt the cable. Just remember to wear gloves taped to a sweatshirt when you use that crap. I had fiberglass stuck in my arms for weeks after doing a set of headers once.

I would suggest taking a look and seeing if you think a few extra inches of cable length would help out. If so, order the later model cable from Maximum Motorsports, and maybe use the header wrap too if you still think it's too close.

Good luck.

Jeff

My cable runs pretty close to the headers so i just wrapped it in some heat sleeve that can be used on plug wires. It works well, but header wrap would probably work even better.