Bypass valve and blow off valves

Is there a real difference between a bypass valve and a blow off valve besides a BPV recirculating the air to before the supercharger and a BOV just releases pressure into the air. Ive seen many being used just dumping the the pressure into right into the air and also with a hose running back to a point before the supercharger. Can someone explain to me why some people recirculate the air and some dont?

• Sponsors (?)

There is no difference between a bypass valve and a blow off valve, it's just how they are used as you said above. You can use a "blow off valve" and recirculate the air back into the inlet tube and vica versa. People that have blow-through MAF's mounted before the throttle body and after the supercharger normally use blow off valves and vent them to the atmosphere. On the other hand, most people run standard draw-though MAF's mounted before the supercharger. That requires the air to be recirculated into the inlet tube to avoid losing metered air which can cause a rich condition between shifts and whle downshifting.

Thats basicly what I thought, I remembered talking to you on AIM about it but I wanted to be 100% sure before going out and buying one or the other. But it looks like either or should be fine. One more thing, a by pass valve makes the same noise as a bov if its not recirculated right?

bentley429 said:
Thats basicly what I thought, I remembered talking to you on AIM about it but I wanted to be 100% sure before going out and buying one or the other. But it looks like either or should be fine. One more thing, a by pass valve makes the same noise as a bov if its not recirculated right?

depends each type and make has it's own sound... some BOV's you can get recirc kits for them, although i'm not sure if they sound the same or not with the recirc kit....