C4 Shifting Delay

spirockp

5 Year Member
Mar 26, 2004
NJ
My problem is such. Lets say that the car is running, shifter in neutral, no pedals (brake, gas) pushed. If I move the shifter to the R position, the transmission reacts in less than a second, and car starts to move backwards. But if I move the shifter to D, nothing happens. It sits like it is still in neutral.

I took the Stang out last night, stopped at a burger hand out. When I went to leave, I put the trans into D and it took 3 seconds to engage. When I arrived at home I stopped and turned the car off before I drove it into the garage. When I came back outside and started it, it did it again. So I put it back into park, then back into D and now nothing happens. :(

Transmission history - C4 rebuilt a year and 1/2 ago. Car is powered by a stock 302, maybe 225 HP. I have no where near beat it up.

Any ideas what my issue may be?

Thanks.

Peter S.

• Sponsors (?)

maybe the linkage is loose and it's causing the tranny to not click into gear when you shift it and that is the reason it's taking a few seconds to catch.

When I originally had my tranny rebuilt the trans shop didn't hook the linkage up right. I forgive them though as they were dealing with a 40 year old car. Just somewhere to start though for ya.

wierd. you sure your linkage is good? Does it take as long when you shift into low instead of D? usually when it takes that long means the transmission isn't developing proper line pressure, but since your reverse gear works fine I'd say that isnt the case. but it does eventually get into gear? how is the performance thereafter?:shrug: