C4 Trans Question

cronics66

Jul 14, 2006
Hello to all fellow mustang owners and fanatics. I am new to this forum, and I have a question about my 66 GT Stang. I recently cracked my bellhousing on my old C4 tranny. I was able to find a used, but working condition C4 transmission. I put it on and fired her up and a I came across a high pitched rattle right under the bellhousing. I was thinking that I might not have properly engaged the torque converter properly. My question is, how many steps does the converter have to drop before it is engaged fully? Im hoping this is the problem, does anybody else have any suggestions on what else it could be? Thanks for the help. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It should take about 2 or 3 thunks but the last one will be a real solid sound. I doubt if that's it though because if it wasn't properly seated, everything wouldn't have bolted up right so I'd say check all bolts and make sure they're tight before taking it back out just yet.

302 coupe said:
just take the bellhousing off of the replacement trans and put it on the original trans, since it sounds like the original was working properly.
I can't reuse the old trans, it has a shot brg in the tail. This would cause a serious vibration and also clunks when put into reverse or even drive. Driveshaft, u-joints and rearend all re-done, before moving into the tranny. Come to find out the tail shaft spline was way to loose, might have caused the bellhousing to break.

EagleAutosports said:
It should take about 2 or 3 thunks but the last one will be a real solid sound. I doubt if that's it though because if it wasn't properly seated, everything wouldn't have bolted up right so I'd say check all bolts and make sure they're tight before taking it back out just yet.

Im going to look into that, I was actually thinking it could have been the starter, but it makes the noise even when its running, so I crossed that out right away. Thanks though!