Cabbage Patch Mustangs... at car shows

LXXVICOBRA

Founding Member
Jul 10, 1999
Central NY State
There seems to be almost as much hype surrounding the '05's as there was back in '64-'65. Because of this, I would expect that more than a few buyers of Ford's latest offering will be buying this car soley on speculation, that its value will increase greatly in the future. It makes me wonder how many of these cars will end up being nothing more than permanent garage queens, not to mention the slew of others that will only see the light of day for a car show.

Next year's car shows will likely have the appearance of a typical (new car) dealership's lot. I can almost picture it now...a special row of (red) cars competing in the "driven under 100mi" class, with tie breaking awards deceided by the car with the lowest VIN number!

I can't wait to watch all the intense competition in new classes like this. It might make a Cabbage Patch doll convention look tame by comparison. :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

I will buy an 05 Legend Lime GT and I will drive the complete **** out of it. That is all. =) Oh and when its old I will restore it, and once again...drive the complete **** out of it...Now really that is all =)

Actually for the new Mustang to gain in value, like the old ones, it would take a LONG time, like with the old ones. Now personally I'm not interested in buying one to sit for 30 years. I'll buy one and enjoy every minute of it driving for 10 years solid, then off and on driving for 20 years and enjoy shows etc. All the while I'll take really good care of it, so as not to deteriorate too fast..

Now on the other hand, had we the "hiend site" and money in the late 60's - early 70's to purchase about 11 '70 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 cars or any HEMI Mopars, stash them all in a large bubble then fast forward to today and keep one for us, then sell them for their current value, we'd be millionare's.

So if we purchased 11 new 06 Cobra's or ZO6 vettes then fast forward to say 2040, maybe we'd be millionare's.... or broke! :dunno: Its anyones guess.

I say enjoy the cars, but take care of them, the might be worth more one day....

JSSuper455 said:
Actually for the new Mustang to gain in value, like the old ones, it would take a LONG time, like with the old ones. Now personally I'm not interested in buying one to sit for 30 years. I'll buy one and enjoy every minute of it driving for 10 years solid, then off and on driving for 20 years and enjoy shows etc. All the while I'll take really good care of it, so as not to deteriorate too fast..

Now on the other hand, had we the "hiend site" and money in the late 60's - early 70's to purchase about 11 '70 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 cars or any HEMI Mopars, stash them all in a large bubble then fast forward to today and keep one for us, then sell them for their current value, we'd be millionare's.

So if we purchased 11 new 06 Cobra's or ZO6 vettes then fast forward to say 2040, maybe we'd be millionare's.... or broke! :dunno: Its anyones guess.

I say enjoy the cars, but take care of them, the might be worth more one day....

You would be far better off if in 1970 you had invested that money in the stock market or real estate rather than than in muscle cars. If you factor in the cost of storing your 11 cars for 34 years, your muscle cars are a loosing proposition.

If anyone is buying a 2005 Mustang, thinking that it will go up in value, they are crazy. Ford will be building 180,000 to 195,000 of them a year. Chrysler hemi cars from the 1960s are worth alot today because Chrysler only built about 10,000 hemis total, from 1964 to 1971.

What did a Mustang cost in 1965? $2500? That amount of money has the same amount of purchasing power as $15,000 in 2004. You can get a pretty good condition 1965 Mustang for less than $15,000. Not a good investment.

Dave

HairyCanary said:
What did a Mustang cost in 1965? $2500? That amount of money has the same amount of purchasing power as $15,000 in 2004. You can get a pretty good condition 1965 Mustang for less than $15,000. Not a good investment.

Dave

It's even worse than you think Dave.

In April 1964 when the Mustang debued, the Dow was about 800.
Yesterday the DJI closed at 10,213.

That means if you had taken $2,500 in 1964 and invested it in the DJI, it would be worth $32,000 today, yes that's $32K even after the market crash.

Investing in a DJI index fund is a VERY conservative investment.

SVTdriver said:
But let's be honest. Are there a lot of people who "invest" in mustangs?

Well, they may tell their wife, "But, Honey – it's an investment; I'm not doing this cause I wanna drive fast... I'm thinking of our financial future sweetheart, love-of-my-life, oh-most-beautiful-woman-in-the-world. Now, when do you want to go see the dealer?."

SVTdriver said:
But let's be honest. Are there a lot of people who "invest" in mustangs?

You are correct that most people don't think that their Mustang is a good investment, but the topic of this thread was speculation about the 05 Stang becoming an investment.

But, some people may be foolish enough to buy one for that purpose, so someone had to do a reality check for these folks.

It reminds me of a former neighbor who bought a Camaro as an investment. He bought it around 1990, brand new and stored it in his garage. I don't remember exactly what model, but it was what ever the high HP, fancy model was at that time. 10 years later in 2000 he had less than 5,000 miles on it. He was shocked when he found out how little it was worth on the used car market compared to what he paid for it. He thought it was going to be worth more than he paid for it. :rlaugh:

SVTdriver:
Actually, I've never been to a Cabbage Patch Doll convention, nor do I own one. My comparison comment between the '05's and the dolls was used to make a light hearted analogy, between the feverish type of "anticipation of ownership" I sense in other threads by potential owners of these cars, to those that often purchase foolish mass produced collectable items that they believe have investment value.
I posted this thread to test for reaction by those that might choose to do such a thing with '05 Mustangs, while adding a related comment about car shows that I'm sure many can relate to, as each years new models hit the show circut before the factory paint has had a chance to cure. However, instead of getting a reply from such a hopeful investor or collector, I see the topic is being discussed from another perspective... pointing out many of the very logical reasons (which I fully agree with) why anyone should not bother mothballing a new car in the first place.

351CJ:
You brought up many good points. The story about your friend is a perfect example of the kind of person I am talking about too in my initial post.
True, the majority of buyers will not look as their cars as being a good money making "investment" per se... but, I do believe that the mass popularity of the Mustang model over the years, does tend to make many owners feel their cars will always command premium resale values regardless. Because cars like Mustangs also have a strong enthusiast following and continue to be popular as affordable "collector" cars as they age...it stands to reason that despite your sound reasoning, there will be those that will still view such a purchase as a way to beat depreciation or even make money at a later point in time.
Recent examples of such buyers would likely be those that bought '87 Buick Grand Nationals, '94-'96 Impalas, and even the latest model T-Birds and Mercury Mauraders, just to name a few.

As car companies continue to introduce (or reintroduce) new performance versions of cars like Mustang, GTO, etc., many might tend to get caught up in the hype of these "reincarnations" which the producers all too often try to promote as being "limited in production" models.
So, yes...there will be many, many thousands of everyday '05 Mustangs that will see everyday street duty. But, I still suspect too many of the more performance oriented models of these same cars will be purchased to be kept as limited use vehicles (garage queens), with owners spending more time tracking their current values than actually deriving enjoyment from driving them.