CAI opinions

stangman11

Feb 27, 2006
New Jersey
Hey guys didnt know to put this in tech or talk but here goes. Not gonna lie on my past mustangs I have always been on a serious budget so all mods were done with the cheapest parts possible to get the most power. I finally bought a new 00 GT and actually have the money to put quality parts on one of my stangs for the frist time. Here is my dilema though......On all my past stangs I have ussually bought the $80 CAI for them, I mean its an intake right a filter in the fender and peice of pipe to the throttle body. My real question is, is there really a difference in performance or are we just paying for a MAC or BBK name on the CAI? I mean I can see how maybe different material used could allow better cooling of the air and keeping the air colder in the piping under the hood and all around fit and finish. Im just having a hard time trying to get myself to pay $200 plus for a pipe, filter, and a couple of hose clamps.

What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

For a CAI to really be effective you need to also add a bigger TB and a
Plennum. Then that needs to be enhanced with a mid pipe and free flowing
Mufflers. But for starters you can go with a K&N filter in the stock airbox
with the snorkle removed. Then you have a recleanabled high quality filter.

Looking at the JLT's. Is there any big difference performance-wise between the fenderwell version and the one that sits in the engine bay with the heat shield? Looks like the engine bay version is easier to install so I'm leaning toward that if there's no big difference.

Looking at the JLT's. Is there any big difference performance-wise between the fenderwell version and the one that sits in the engine bay with the heat shield? Looks like the engine bay version is easier to install so I'm leaning toward that if there's no big difference.

According to JLT's site, they both yield the same amount of power gains.

I have the UPR CAI (probably a MAC unit) with the filter in the fender. I wanted the cooler air from outside.
Whatever you go with, be sure you integrate the original MAF sensors' screen into the new unit, in the same position, for consistant MAF readings.

GT

Ugh, it just looks soooooo pretty!

03-04%20Mach%201%20CAI%20-%20Screaming%20Yellow_medium.jpg