CAI's with aftermarket TB's. Fitment Question.

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
looking at a cheap ebay CAI (will use my spectre filter). the company claims that the kit will not work with an aftermarket throttle body. actually, here's the exact wording they used..

"...fyi, aftermarket intake system will only fit stock sensor and stock throttle body. if you have ever mod either of it , this generic intake system will not fit your car.."

i could see how a spacer would cause a problem but the throttle body?

fwiw, it would be a frpp 70mm.

• Sponsors (?)

Post up a link.

But already it sounds fishy. I can understand nickel and diming each piece and making sure you are getting a good deal but than your ride is filled with cheap items designed within very narrow design limitations. Especially generic stuff like your quote states, for the small gain of bolt ons I would go for stuff that is designed for our cars because than it is going to be a PITA to customize fit it if you have issues. For the case of the intake- what if you want to install nitrous down the line- I bet an ebay inlet tube doesn't have a nice area to make a wet kit install easy. Or if you get a thin metal tube than you are heat soaking your intake and you might not gain a single hp with this mod. Not trying to bash, just putting in my $.02. :)

nos will never be installed on my car, no worries there. ive had previous experience with a cai on my 95 with a stock tb. no issues. cai gains are minimal, i understand that. but i will not pay the price of a bbk (or the like) that looks identical and is made the same.

anything that isnt aluminum is expensive to avoid the heat soaking issue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...00513172499&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

ebay item # 300513172499

LTNS, with a bigger TB might have more air than expected, that might cause an issue, idk? I did read a post a while back where someone said if you're not doing cams then there was no benefit to upgrading to a bigger plenum and/or TB. Don't know how true that is.

I did read a post a while back where someone said if you're not doing cams then there was no benefit to upgrading to a bigger plenum and/or TB. Don't know how true that is.

They dont make a lot of difference. I could barely tell. There were loads of dynos on another forum. I think the combo netted about 7hp. Nothing special considering the cost. Gears and a tuner are a much better purchase.

there are gains to be made from a plenum and tb. i found that issue of 5.0 i was looking for. there are dyno numbers to prove it. will try to remember to post that up when i get home later. granted, i would not pay the new price of a tb and plenum but finding a good deal, yes the money spent is worth the extra hp IMO.

not everyone can afford FI, cams, heads, etc. even a darn gear swap gets pricey.

Most likely the larger inlet opening on the throttle body will be too big for the coupler they provide.

Easy fix, but IMO buy a well-made intake.

i suppose a different size coupler. that will be an issue on most cai's then.

well made would be a matter of opinion. JLT,K&N,AIRAID may fall into that category but im not paying that price for something else that does the same thing much cheaper.

well made would be a matter of opinion. JLT,K&N,AIRAID may fall into that category but im not paying that price for something else that does the same thing much cheaper.

I got a densecharger TB tube cheap on ebay. Works fine with my 75mm TB and K&N filter with no airbox. Gains from the tube and filter were more noticable than the plenum and TB for sure.

Should fit an average coupler from Pep-Boys or Autozone..... The throttle seems to me wouldn't be bigger on the outside, just the inside. Stock 65mm Throttle body has a thicker inlet then say the 70mm so on and so forth.
The ebay cold air is fine, why would someone want to spend so much on something that does so little? Thats the reason I got mine off of ebay, 100 bucks for CAI is too much and should go to, lets say O2 sensors or ball joints.

Should fit an average coupler from Pep-Boys or Autozone..... The throttle seems to me wouldn't be bigger on the outside, just the inside. Stock 65mm Throttle body has a thicker inlet then say the 70mm so on and so forth.
The ebay cold air is fine, why would someone want to spend so much on something that does so little? Thats the reason I got mine off of ebay, 100 bucks for CAI is too much and should go to, lets say O2 sensors or ball joints.

agreed. thanks for the input!

there are gains to be made from a plenum and tb. i found that issue of 5.0 i was looking for. there are dyno numbers to prove it. will try to remember to post that up when i get home later. granted, i would not pay the new price of a tb and plenum but finding a good deal, yes the money spent is worth the extra hp IMO.

not everyone can afford FI, cams, heads, etc. even a darn gear swap gets pricey.

5.0 JULY 07

"nice and easy"

stock 03 5 speed gt : 213/242

+cherry bomb catback (stock midpipe) : 217/251

+accufab 75mm tb+plenum : 233/259

+jlt ram air intake : 237/262

+march pulleys : 242/267

+diablosport : 243/271

Going from a stock to 75mm TB on my car, the couple did not want to go on without much persuasion and some soapy water. Now it's stretched to fit, but the exterior of the TB is definitely larger in diameter.

A 70mm won't be as much, but that's my only guess as to why they'd say it "can't" be used with an aftermarket tb/plenum. Otherwise it doesn't really make sense.

Going from a stock to 75mm TB on my car, the couple did not want to go on without much persuasion and some soapy water. Now it's stretched to fit, but the exterior of the TB is definitely larger in diameter.

A 70mm won't be as much, but that's my only guess as to why they'd say it "can't" be used with an aftermarket tb/plenum. Otherwise it doesn't really make sense.

i measured my tb - right at 3 inch, hair under. emailed the company and they said the coupler from the tube to the tb is 3". i think it'll work

thanks man