can my computer be bad please help

boss306

Nov 29, 2010
i have been through a ton of problems with my car but now it runs but the performance seems to be very inconsistent and it will cut out when their is a high electrical load like the heater motor on high head lights on etc i have pulled the codes before and fixed those but the problem did not get fixed and a few weeks after pulling the codes i tried to do it again but it would not pull them i thought that the reader was broken so i got another and the same thing wont read the only thing that happins is the fuel pump primes like normal and thats it can the computer be bad i heard that a bad computer can do this also were are all of the computer ground lacated at thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you have an issue with a high electrical load causing performance related issues, your EEC is definitely not at fault. You have an issue with your electrical system, whether it be your alternator, battery, or a grounding issue. The EEC ground is on the driver's side inner fender, right next to the washer fluid reservoir.

Photo courtest of jrichker/timewarped1972:
ground.jpg

You should also go over all of the other electrical connections. The alternator and battery connections, and all of the grounds. Pull them apart, clean them up with a wire wheel, or sandpaper, and reattach them. Any rust should be taken down to nice shiny bare metal. Painted surfaces should also be cleaned up the same, so you can ensure a good grounding surface.

Computer will not go into diagnostic mode on 91-93 model 5.0 Mustangs

How it is supposed to work:
The grey/red wire (pin 46) is signal ground for the computer. It provides a dedicated
ground for the EGR, Baro, ACT, ECT, & TPS sensors as well as the ground to put the
computer into self test mode. If this ground is bad, none of the sensors mentioned will work
properly. That will severely affect the car's performance. You will have hard starting, low power
and drivability problems.
Since it is a dedicated ground, it passes through the computer on its
way to the computer main power ground that terminates at the battery pigtail ground. It should
read less than 1.5 ohms when measured from anyplace on the engine harness with the battery
pigtail ground as the other reference point for the ohmmeter probe.

What sometimes happens is that the test connector grey/red wire gets jumpered to power
which either burns up the wiring or burns the trace off the pc board inside the computer.
That trace connects pins 46 to pins 40 & 60. Only an experienced electronics technician can open
the computer up & repair the trace if it burns up and creates an open circuit.

The STI (Self Test Input ) is jumpered to ground to put the computer into test mode. Jumpering
it to power can produce unknown results, including damage to the computer. The ohm test
simply verifies that there are no breaks in the wiring between the test connector and the computer input.

How to test the wiring :
With the power off, measure the resistance between the computer test ground
(grey/red wire) on the self test connector and battery ground. You should see less than
1.5 ohms.

attachment.php

If that check fails, remove the passenger side kick panel and disconnect the computer
connector. There is a 10 MM bolt that holds it in place. Measure the resistance between
the grey/red wire and pin 46 on the computer wiring connector : it should be less than
1.5 ohms. More that 1.5 ohms is a wiring problem. If it reads 1.5 ohms or less, then the
computer is suspect. On the computer, measure the resistance between pin 46 and pins
40 & 60: it should be less than 1.5 ohms. More that that and the computer’s internal
ground has failed, and the computer needs to be replaced.

See http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/749974-computer-issue.html#post7490537 for Joel5.0’s fix for the computer internal signal ground.

If the first ground check was good, there are other wires to check. Measure the
resistance between the STI computer self test connector (red/white wire) and pin 48 on
the computer main connector: it should be less than 1.5 ohms. More that 1.5 ohms is a
wiring problem

The following is a view from the computer side of the computer connector.
eec04.gif

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds

Check out the diagram and notice all the places the grey/red wire goes. Almost every
sensor on the engine except the MAF is connected to it.
91-93_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds
(website host) for help on 88-95 wiring Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info

harness02.gif

Grounds
Grounds are important to any electrical system, and especially to computer controlled engines. In an automobile, the ground is the return path for power to get back to the alternator and battery.

1.) The main power ground is from engine block to battery: it is the power ground for the starter & alternator.

2.) The secondary power ground is between the back of the intake manifold and the driver's side firewall. It is often missing or loose. It supplies ground for the alternator, A/C compressor clutch and other electrical accessories such as the gauges.

Any car that has a 3G or high output current alternator needs a 4 gauge ground wire running from the block to the chassis ground where the battery pigtail ground connects. The 3G has a 130 amp capacity, so you wire the power side with 4 gauge wire. It stands to reason that the ground side handles just a much current, so it needs to be 4 gauge too.

The picture shows the common ground point for the battery , computer, & extra 3G alternator ground wire as described above in paragraph 2. A screwdriver points to the bolt that is the common ground point.

The battery common ground is a 10 gauge pigtail with the computer ground attached to it.
Picture courtesy timewarped1972
ground.jpg

Correct negative battery ground cable.
56567d1230679358-positive-negative-battery-cable-questions-86-93-mustang-oem-style-ground-cable.gif

3.) The computer has its own dedicated power ground that comes off the ground pigtail on the battery ground wire. Due to its proximity to the battery, it may become corroded by acid fumes from the battery.
In 86-90 model cars, it is a black cylinder about 2 1/2" long by 1" diameter with a black/lt green wire.
In 91-95 model cars it is a black cylinder about 2 1/2" long by 1" diameter with a black/white wire.
You'll find it up next to the starter solenoid where the wire goes into the wiring harness.

4.) All the sensors have a common separate ground. This includes the TPS, ACT, EGE, BAP, & VSS sensors.

5.) The O2 sensor heaters have their own ground (HEGO ground) coming from the computer. This is different and separate from the O2 sensor ground. It is an orange wire with a ring terminal on it. It is located in the fuel injector wiring harness and comes out under the throttle body. It gets connected to a manifold or bolt on back of the cylinder head.

6.) The TFI module has 2 grounds: one for the foil shield around the wires and another for the module itself. The TFI module ground terminates inside the computer.

7.) The computer takes the shield ground for the TFI module and runs it from pin 20 to the chassis near the computer.

8.) The computer's main power ground (the one that comes from the battery ground wire) uses pins 40 & 60 for all the things it controls internally.

See http://assets.fluke.com/appnotes/automotive/beatbook.pdf for help for help troubleshooting voltage drops across connections and components. .

attachment.php

Extra grounds are like the reserve parachute for a sky diver. If the main one fails, there is always your reserve.

The best plan is to have all the grounds meet at one central spot and connect together there. That eliminates any voltage drops from grounds connected at different places. A voltage drop between the computer ground and the alternator power ground will effectively reduce the voltage available to the computer by the amount of the drop.

well i took out the computer it turns out the guy that had it before me took out the a9l and put in the a9p i opened the case to the ecu and thier was a fried circuit or somthing i dont know what it was but i found a a9l for 50$ so i got it and put it in and just for fun tried the code reader and it read the codes and it passed i did the cylinder balence test and passed that so i took the car out drive good so i went to a country road and stopped and i took off like a granny until about 3k and hammerd grabed 2nd and spun for about 20ft or so then i turned on the headlights and it started to cut out again ran the code reader again and no codes but i noticed that even with headlights on it wont cut out until it gets to about 3k but if all of the accessories on it will idle but cant give it any throttle any thoughts.

You need to go back and re-read the Grounds section of my post. If you really want to fix the car, check the grounds and make sure that they are good. Do the voltage drop test with a load on the electrical system. Speed up the engine until you get 1500 RPM by using a helper or stick wedged between the accelerator and driver's seat. Run the A/C or heater on high, run the high beam headlights and any other electrical loads you can think of. Do the voltage drop tests and you will probably find a bad connection.

cool i wasnt trying to dismiss your info i dont have a dvom at this moment

It;s time to make a new friend or buy a DMM. It is one of the most useful tools you can own once you learn how to use it correctly. Check out EBay if you have the time to wait to get it in your hands. Triplett, Fluke, HP, and Tektronix are the top brands. I got a Fluke DVM for about $35 shipped: new it would have sold for over $400. Some cleaning solvent and a little effort and it looks very good and is higly accurate. Avoid any new meter that sells for less than $20, it probably isn't very good quality.