Can someone go out and look at their trunk and answer a question for me?

svtpower

Apr 30, 2005
Wisconsin
I have been trying to track down a rattling noise in my trunk for about a week now! I have only had the car a few weeks and is been there since the day I bought it. I have removed all the mach 460 stuff, the spare and jack, the insulation an everything else I can see. Its still there!?!!?!

Is there supposed to be a rubber stopper or something in this hole I have pictured?

I only get the rattle when I am driving over bumps, I can hit or shake the trunk lid all day long and I cant make it make a sound. It shuts firmly and is not loose once shut.

My lock is off-center also, but I cannot figure out how to get at it or remove it to check it any further.
Any ideas guys?

Attachments

• trunk (Small).jpg
    trunk (Small).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Sponsors (?)

A lot of time rattles are not coming from where they sound like they are. Have some one drive around while you sit in back, see if you can tell where it is coming from...

I doubt it has anything to do with the trunk. Maybe there's something loose under the car. That sounds about right considering you hear it after bumps and such. Maybe the 02 harness is a little loose or something and its hitting a pipe. That keyhole is off center from the way they manufacture cars in mass amounts. It's no worry.

Thanks guys!

Thanks alot for the replies guys!

I have already put the back seats down and laid on my back with my head in the back of the trunk while my wife drove a few blocks :rolleyes: Yeah you can laugh it felt kinda silly.

It's definately coming from the trunk area somewhere, or DIRECTLY attached to it. It's not coming from way underneath the car. Sounded like it was within 6 inches of the latch area on the trunk, hard to tell from in back (I hear about 100 little noises when I am back there)

I have a squeak noise that I get once in awhile too, but thats coming from my driverside shock mount. The nut on top is tight (I cant budge it without the shaft spinning even with vicegrips) but its not tight all the way down to the rubber stopper like the passenger side is.

The rattle that is KILLING ME though is coming from the back of the trunk as far as I can tell. I tried it with the trunk open for a bit but my exhaust as too noisy and then I couldnt hear anything with my head back there and without me back there it just bounces around open so I couldnt tell with it open while I was driving.

This is really getting to me!

Uh, the nut needs to be all the way down and compressing the rubber bushing on the shock man. The rattling is probably that. Hold the tip of the rod with vice grips and tighten that nut. See if it fixes it. If you cannot tighten it then it is probably cross threaded. You can get a new pair of gabriel shocks at autozone for $48 for the pair. Do not replace just one shock...

A while back, SEVERAL people were complaining about a rattle near the trunk with the SN95 model. It was later discovered that the "C" pillar had a portion which seperated from the rear quarter panel, thus causing a rattle and/or squeak. Remove the inner "C" panel pillar interior covers (rt/lft) and check where the weld is on the rear quarter panel. Look for any wearing and/or chipped paint, it should be near the end corners. This may be your problem.

Just FYI...

mustang70 said:
Are you sure it's something in the trunk? I had a rattle that I thought was in the trunk. After emptying out the trunk to find it I dicovered my rear sway bar was loose.

Same deal on my Son's GT, I guess the sway bar being loose transmitted the sound through upper control arms and made it sound just like it was in the trunk.

From the sounds of it svtpower you have eliminated it being that since you are laying back there and it sounds so close to latch area. :shrug:

It could be coming from the trunk. I saw a thread on this about 2 years ago. Bear with me. The rear panel that holds the speakers can sometime develop a crack at a small weld. Look very carefully around the speaker holes in the trunk. Use a mirror. Inspect anything that looks like a tac weld. If you see a break, you will have to repair it with something like JB Weld or another product. Good luck.

I had a similar problem, the catback pipe was occasionally bumping against something mounted underneath the trunk, made it sound like an aweful rattle in the trunk. It was the catback pipe on the passanger side where it goes over the rear axel. All I had to do was loosen the catback from the mid pipe, rotate it a little and re-tighten.

I hope you find it - good luck! :nice:

Red mustang Gt 46 said:
A while back, SEVERAL people were complaining about a rattle near the trunk with the SN95 model. It was later discovered that the "C" pillar had a portion which seperated from the rear quarter panel, thus causing a rattle and/or squeak. Remove the inner "C" panel pillar interior covers (rt/lft) and check where the weld is on the rear quarter panel. Look for any wearing and/or chipped paint, it should be near the end corners. This may be your problem.

Just FYI...
Exactly, I know there was a thread over on modularfords.com with pics showing what you described.........good luck finding it though!