Can youget 300 RWHP From bolt-ons?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think it's been done w/ bolt-ons. You'd need cams (as noted above) and maybe some head/valve work. Many over 300rwhp N/A have a good Bullet TB that has been extrude honed or something real cool sounding like that.

Try aluminum driveshaft and flywheel also.

Nope. Not with basic bolt ons. You are going to need every bolt on in the book, cams and maybe some head work, and a good tune. By the time you spend all that money for those parts and labor, you could've bought a supercharger and make a whole lot more power. Plus installing all those bolt ons is going to take a lot of time. Installing a supercharger takes hours. Of course, having some of those bolt ons will compliment the supercharger, but you are going to want more power after you have exhausted every bolt on in the book.

Isnt' it funny how the 4.6 doesn't take to bolt ons like the 5.0. You could get a Holly Systemax package for a 5.0 and add about 75HP+, and that's just the intake, heads, and cams. Then you still have a lot more bolt ons left to install plus the stroker options. :D

jasonh_86 said:
i've got about ~258-260 rwhp on my car and I still havent gotten heads, cams, or headers. So i figure it's possible with the right stuff. My car's a 5-spd, also.

And you are real close - not on the surface but add the LTs and a good tune and you'd probably get 280.

Ive got a question, for the guys that read the mags every month why is it that the test 4.6 motors they have (test motors for dyno sheets on cams or worked heads, ect....) All the ones I've seen have the 4.6 motors at 400 flywheel hp, I remember one from I think last year testing the upper elbows and tb combos they got a hair over 400. I know these motors are not in the cars when tested, so they will have the loss in power from plastic drag from all the front accessories after they are put in a car, but why is it so hard to eclipse the 300 mark at the tires when the test motors always have around 400 on the dyno sheets. Look back thru your stack of Muscle Mustangs or 5.0 Mustang and look at what im talking about, I cant see a 100hp loss after the motor is put in a car, plus the loss thru the drivetrain. Can you :shrug:

i was wondering the same thing. i dont think thes motors they use are stock. some of them have headers plenum.. and i noticed alot of them have the fast management system. not sure about fast, but that must be what adds the power. also it seems they say they got engines from dss, which means its not modded, but prolly gas different pistons and higher compression.

i see your point though, they still should be putting down that much power with these small amount of mods. :shrug:

I seen one I think about 2 years ago in Muscle Mustangs, it featured a 98 motor from Mustang Parts Specialties, they used the short-block only and added worked heads I think from TEA (total engine airflow) a set of aftermarket cams, PI intake, elbow, tb, headers,ect...... and yes I believe they had the F.A.S.T. computer system on it as well. If I remember right this motor was in a coulple of issues in a row for continued testing, it was a long build to the finished product, but this motor was one that made 400 on the engine stand :D . I will have to dig thru my closet to find the issues that this motor was in, because it was a stock 98 motor with the orginal pistons, rods, bearings, ect......... On the other hand your right a few of the others I've seen do use the DSS motors, but this one with the stock 98 bottom is the paticular one that has me wondering why there is so few cars that can make over 300 at the wheels. :shrug: