Can't get drum spindles off of lower A-arms

evilfitz

Feb 12, 2003
Wisconsin
This is driving me nuts and I know I'm probably just too slow to pickup something obvious (Like I need a bigger hammer). I'm tearing out all the suspension out of my 66. I got the spindles off of the uppers and off the tie-rods without a problem. I can't get the spindles off of the lowers. I ended up taking the lowers off the car during the teardown, but still can't get them separated. Is there a chance they're rusted together, are they threaded together, or do I just need to keep hitting them?

• Sponsors (?)

Jester,

I actually used that article when taking it apart, but it doesn't really mention anything specifically about the lowers, which is why I was wondering if there's something else I don't know. Thanks for the thought though.

I had mine off and was beating the living crap out of the end of the spindle with no luck. :bang: Whale on the A-arm, not the end of the spindle. I had mine off but couldn't get it apart, stuck it in my saddlebags and rode 25 miles in the rain to the nearest Mustang shop where the mechanic hit the damn thing twice and it fell apart. He said that happened every time, every time.

It might help to loosely reconnect the spindle to the upper arms to support it while you're wailing away. Use the biggest handheld sledgehammer you can. I don't like to admit it, but I once had one that I couldn't "shock" loose, (probably overtorqued). I reinstalled the nut and whacked the top a few times and it came off. You run the risk of damaging threads when you do this though.