Car (at cruise) is peaking the temp guage...t-stat stuck? Best t-stat install prep?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Well for some strange reason today my t-stat (guessing) is acting up bad:shrug:

My temp guage is nearly peaked (the temp climbs rapidly) and then it will drop down about a 1/4 of the way down and rise back up and repeat the process.

The temp is not being consistent and is staying on the very high side...

I guess I'm going to get a parts store t-stat tomorrow and install it so I need the way to install it...

I need a new gasket and what parts do I silicone...

I'll have to drain some coolant won't I...:( I'm going to be rushed tomorrow...

It couldn't really be anything else could it...?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Just did this today twice!!!!!!!!! haha....first pull off the upper rad hose, fluid will come out so have a catch pan undernieth, twist the hose out of the way. The small hose that goes from the water pump to the elbow needs to be loosed by the elbow, pull the hose clamp back to allow the top bolt to come out. I found it easiest to take the top bolt off first, I used a small 13mm socket to take it out. Next the bottom bolt. Its a total PITA. At first I took a 13mm wrench and moved it little by litte by having my body on the pas side of the car and reaching over to under the ac compresser to get some wrenching room. I then just took the 13mm socket and somehow found a way to get on the bolt and slowly remove it. Then pull out ur neck and thermo. Now, this is something I recomend cause this is the reason I had to do the install twice. Get some black rtv, rtv the thermo to the elbow(in other words, put some rtv between the thermo and the elbow and let it dry for a little) Trust me, the first time i put everythiung back together the thermo fell out and I had it all buttoned up and it leaked like a sive, apperently the thermo fell out of place just enough. Once you do that, I would take the rtv and go around the entire eblow, lay the gasket on it, then cover the other side of the gasket with rtv(the side that will mate to the intake). Then MAKE SURE you line the gasket up, attacth the rubber hose from the water pump as you put the elbow down to place with the thermo, and put the top bolt in first....and enjoy putting in the bottom bolt, (I hope you have small fingers). Just take your time, once you get that in button everything up and top off the rad. I really didnt loose that much fluid at all. And that should be it!!!!!

When does it get hot? Highway, idle?? Its a stock gauge also so it may not be 100%. If it peaked, you can warp those alum heads. If you ever have them off the car, definatly have them clean up milled as they WILL warp slightly from getting hot.

Thanks Andrew! Will do...I mean I have put in my t-stat but I wanted to make sure I was doing it the correct way. The only thing different is I used a different color RTV:) I'll be making a trip to the parts store tomorrow...:(

Mike, I know the difference about highway and idle and the car heating up. That is why I put "at cruise"...my radiator cools awesome...but I knew the t-stat had to be acting up. The temp kept fluctuating and I know my temp guage is consistent...it has never gave me problems...it is always that dang t-stat:bang:

Thanks for the replies guys:nice:

Well I'm sitting at work (car ran SO hot)...the whole trip. I'm going to call my dad and see if he can run over here and bring the tools and we change the t-stat in the parking lot during my break:p. I hope i didn't mess anything up...will see...so I need to get a t-stat from the store and I hope they have them in stock:shrug:

might not be ur tstat my heater core was leaking so my car would get low on water an it would not cool the sensor but if i braked the temp would go down it would start doing this before the low coolant light would come on

It is actually running hot though. My guages have been consistent on my car. My coolant is coming out of the overflow tube...:( It was pinging under low rpm (more throttle)...detonation due to the heat I figure...everything else seems fine.

What is the best way to burp the system once I start it up in a parking lot:)?