Car backfires when shifting.

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem, though mainly it happened when i was coming down from high revs.

If you're still running a smog pump with an O/R h-pipe, a quick fix is just to look inside your engine bay, down by the passenger side headers, you'll see a little canister hanging there, with a big black tube running into both sides....yank off one of those, it'll stay in place, but it won't be hooked up...backfires gone

quick fix if it annoys you

HISSIN50 said:
Wow, I learn something every day. I would have never guessed that a non-catted pipe would have a hook up for the smog heffer. That is kind of like tits on a bull. :)

Thanks Chris - now this all makes more sense. :nice:

True, but many people don't remove the smog pump and all the tubing/diverter valves when they run a non-catted pipe. So most have the provision to accomodate it.

My car also has the O/R pipe and my air pump still on. I had heard about the air pump causing backfires by fueling the unburt fuel under decelaration. I actually want to crimp my pipe down to limit flow on my O/R pipe (the air injection pipe). Will this hurt my air pump at all? I ask because I live in CT so I still need everythng in place and working to pass emissions.

Thanks!

Dyno (wide band) looks good,13.2 . I have no smog pump. I got the backfire while I was on the dyno a few times but not as loud. The guys that burnt my chip did not turn off my egr. Will this have anything to do with it?
I moved the timing and f/p all over. I found 10 more hp over the last dyno but my backfire is still there.
I have all msd inj and coil too.