Car falling fat on it's face, please help

93GreenLX

Founding Member
Aug 22, 2002
Southern Maryland
Alright, my baby is falling fat on her face tonigh. But only after she's warmed up. Here's the deal I drove her to work tonight (45 min) and by the time I got there any time I got going from a stop I had to floor it to get her going, once upand running she was fine though. I got to work popped the hood and noticed that A.)I had almost no antifreeze :bang: and B) My PVC intake was very loose and the connections between the piping were not tight and not fully together. Please tell me that the cause of my problem is an intake leak.

• Sponsors (?)

93GreenLX said:
Alright, my baby is falling fat on her face tonigh. But only after she's warmed up. Here's the deal I drove her to work tonight (45 min) and by the time I got there any time I got going from a stop I had to floor it to get her going, once upand running she was fine though. I got to work popped the hood and noticed that A.)I had almost no antifreeze :bang: and B) My PVC intake was very loose and the connections between the piping were not tight and not fully together. Please tell me that the cause of my problem is an intake leak.
sounds like it, a massive leak would cause air to some in and bypass the maf and therefore run lean and crappy. Tighten it all up and see if that helps.

Dr.

Dr_EluSivE said:
sounds like it, a massive leak would cause air to some in and bypass the maf and therefore run lean and crappy. Tighten it all up and see if that helps.

Dr.

if mine is off it makes absolutely no difference in my ride, i cant even tell.

but....nm....1988

lol sorry.

I have had the same problem in both of my 2.3 stangs. I had an 89 that would hesitate like crazy when I stomped the gas, but once it got rpm's up it accelerated fine. The problem there was a split in the aluminum intake pipe. IN my current 93 2.3 vert, it did the same thing when I had a home-made CAI that wasnt tight.

is this only with the mass air things, or all stangs? because mine hesitates, and has a homemade CAI, but i dont really see how it would matter one way or the other, since its just a filter on the end anyway.

andrw said:
is this only with the mass air things, or all stangs? because mine hesitates, and has a homemade CAI, but i dont really see how it would matter one way or the other, since its just a filter on the end anyway.
Yeah you don't have the MAF sensor on your car so it is alot easier to fabricate a CAI. The MAF has to bolt onto a "plate" I guess you could call it and that's what makes it so much different. You could have a leak after your speed density sensor.

i left one of the connecting pipes for the pcv off when i was adjusting timing, drove around with it off (on accident) for a day, the only differnce was the exstremely high idle (due to the vaccum leak), ran fine, with no power loss. hey 93, is your car a 5 speed or an a4ld, maybe your clutch is slipping it its an auto...that would somewhat exsplain why its ok at higher speeds but starting out it hesitates. Also what is your timing set at? When i ran mine at *8 degrees (retarted for nitrous) i did notice a down low bog, right now i have mine 12-14 * that helps alot ;) just some ideas

mr_woodster said:
i left one of the connecting pipes for the pcv off when i was adjusting timing, drove around with it off (on accident) for a day, the only differnce was the exstremely high idle (due to the vaccum leak), ran fine, with no power loss. hey 93, is your car a 5 speed or an a4ld, maybe your clutch is slipping it its an auto...that would somewhat exsplain why its ok at higher speeds but starting out it hesitates. Also what is your timing set at? When i ran mine at *8 degrees (retarted for nitrous) i did notice a down low bog, right now i have mine 12-14 * that helps alot ;) just some ideas
which 93 were you referring to? :D

andrw said:

This happens on my 93' LX and before and after I put a CSI on it. I really don't think its a leak problem with the MAF. My car will not do it all the time no matter what, I can't dupelcate it. How many people has this going on and they run a A4LD? When mine does it off the line the A4LD goes into 2nd way before its needed, wether its floored or not. :shrug:

My girlfriends 89 does the same thing and so does my friends 88 lots of people seem to have this problem but no real fix ive tried everything short of washing the whole car with gas and drying it with a match. By the way both of these cars are 5 speeds one bone stock the other with mild mods and both are n/a.

Took apart my "JMAN" PVC CAI today and retightened everything, a nut holding my O2 Sensor was almost off and interfering with the airflow process, I guess the ultimat test will be when I drive it to work tomorrow. Now to stop my exhaust from vibrating against everything under the car.......grrrrr :bang: :bang: