Car Finally Runs, But Runs Very, Very Crappy!

5.0 Mustang Man said:
It doesnt idle at all! When I let off the gas in neutral it will just die. I adjusted the rockers 1/4 turn past zero lash like everone has told me.
Hey, I almost have identical probs after I did a H/C?I swap. I added 1.7 RR's though. Couldn't get it to idle. And I also heard a slight pop every now and then. I haven't figured mine out yet, but I'm going to try adjusting the tps and turning up my idle a bit and see if it will idle. I set my timing at 14* too. I'll mess w/ mine somemore once I get my interior back together again.

• Sponsors (?)

i had very similar problems. Mine turned out that the guy sen me a cam with the 302 firing order, not the 302ho. I know thats not your problem but check your timing, thats what it sounds like to me. Also, check to see if your firing on all cylinders. Pour a little water on each of the exhaust tubes. Its either a vacuum leak or wrong firing order or timing. Take the distributor out and advance one tooth if your willing. Its worth a shot :shrug:
tom

Why is there raw fuel on your intake? I am going to say that your injectors are leaking. Take off the upper and tighten them down. Might need new o-rings. After you tighten them down, Keep the upper off, and just turn the key to the on position. This will get some fuel pressure going to them, and you will be able to tell which ones are leaking.

Chris

edit: Just noticed this post was from back in July, you probably already fixed it. woops

Backfire through the intake is a bad sign of valve adjustment. Its becuase the valve is always open. Your car probably isnt ideling because it has no vaccum due to the vavle never fully closing. Best thing to do is not to follow what the books say as in terms of rocker adjustment. Do it by hand, feel out where the rod stops moving, as soon as that happend give it a little turn, maybe 1/8 at most then lock down the rocker. This should solve the problem with the idling and the backfire. I know that its really tricky with the rockers. Good Luck!!!

I am having the same kind of stuff, I just posted about it, any help?

OK I just put performer heads, trick flow stage 1 cam, performer intake, 24# injectors, C&L 73mm with correct Tube, 65mm TB/EGR, and it will not idle

I was just reading about people with the similar problems....Mine are

It will surge erratically, die out of nowhere when I stop at a light and push the clutch in, backfire as it sounds like almost out of the intake, when the car is sitting at idle, IN neutral with the clutch in, then you take the clutch out it will totally screw up the idle? THERE ISNT ANY LOAD ON IT why would it change the idle?
Also, I seem to have a lot of crankcase pressure, I have no room to fit breathers so I am running those Caps with holes drilled on them......If anyone could help that would be great, thanks, Steve

are you sure the distributor didn't jump a tooth? sounds like a timing issue to me. even you said, "when you turn the distributor all the way it runs better." i would have to say timing, use a timing light.