Car loses power and backfires when you hit the gas

Green93LX

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2002
Mobile, Al
This isnt about a mustang its a '97 Mountaineer. Its had this problem for a while now but it seems to be getting worse. Everytime I hit the gas the car just has no power for about 2 seconds, then all of the power comes back just like normal. No matter when I hit the gas it always has this hesitation and half the time it backfires then. Can someone please tell me what could cause this and set me in the right direction?

• Sponsors (?)

Start with checking for codes , then check MAF for leaks, defects or contamination . Verifie proper fuel pressure while making it back fire and under load , also check for vacuum leaks . A backfire through the intake is a sign of a lean condition ( low fuel pressure or too much unmettered air ) so I would start checking these things frist , Of course a timing concern can cause it but not likely that it would run ok after the breif pop or hesitation.
john

thanks for your replys... After fooling with several different things for a few hours I gave up and called a friend of mine. We only got through 1 beer before he guessed that the Camshaft Position Sensor was out. We disconnected the harness from it and now it runs perfect. I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to see if I can find one in descent shape to put on thier.